connect to vacation home (2 Tapo IP cameras) using Port Forwarding? (no VPN)

bgraff

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all - i want to add 2 cheap Tapo IP cameras that i have at a vacation house to my primary BI network at my home. I use Eero hardware at both locations which do not support point to point VPNs. I was able to use Anycam to "see" 1 of the remote cameras using port forwarding.

My question is how to configure my BI system (at home) to access these 2 remote cameras using port forwarding?

i understand there are some security issues, but let's assume i am ok with the risk. My question is how to set it up in BI?

i tried using RTSP:/WWAN of remote site/stream1 and then i port forwarded 554 for the camera i wanted....

no dice.

thanks for any help!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're sure you want to do this, then include the forwarded port in the camera's URL to configure in BI such as rtsp:/RemoteSite-WAN-IP:554/stream1

NOTE: include 2 "/" after "rstp:" as forum software won't display 2 consecutively.

I would try the URL in VLC first before trying in BI.

Last edited:

bgraff

n3wb
Reaction score
Tony - thanks for the reply! i was able to access the streams for all 3 cameras on VLC, but not able to replicate in BI. i will keep trying things... but any ideas?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tony - thanks for the reply! i was able to access the streams for all 3 cameras on VLC, but not able to replicate in BI. i will keep trying things... but any ideas?
Post a screenshot of 1 of the Tapo's configuration in Blue Iris.
No IP's need be redacted except for the WAN IP of the remote site.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all - i want to add 2 cheap Tapo IP cameras that i have at a vacation house to my primary BI network at my home. I use Eero hardware at both locations which do not support point to point VPNs. I was able to use Anycam to "see" 1 of the remote cameras using port forwarding.

My question is how to configure my BI system (at home) to access these 2 remote cameras using port forwarding?

i understand there are some security issues, but let's assume i am ok with the risk. My question is how to set it up in BI?

i tried using RTSP:/WWAN of remote site/stream1 and then i port forwarded 554 for the camera i wanted....

no dice.

thanks for any help!
If you insist on port forwarding at least limit the ip addresses that can access the port ..

bensocket

n3wb
Reaction score
A much better option would be to install tail scale on your BI computer then add a low power computer (raspi) at your vacation home also with tail scale installed. Then the low power computer can advertise the 2 cameras directly to BI computer but securely

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn't Eero a mesh wifi network? Do they even make a router? Exactly what Eero hardware are you using?