Cable testing equipment.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not looking to break the bank. I don't do this as a career but as a hobby and I'm learning something new every day. I have about 3/4 mile of cat5e and cat6 in my house for my whole house audio, networking, and cameras. I also work at my friend's house doing his networking, out at his shop with cameras and networking, and at his bin site networking and cameras. I also just got done doing another friend's cameras and networking, along with the same at my brother-in-law's place. All in all, I'm sure there are 5 miles or more of different cat5e and cat6 cable runs. Plus at these places, there is cable internet.
I'm looking for something that will test all the cables periodically as mice in some of those areas can cause damage, plus age, etc.
What do you use to test cables? I would like to keep it under $150 and under $100 would be the best for no more than I would use it. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Either of these are in your budget. The Klein has all the mappers but I rarely use it. If you get up to 4-$500 range you can get a good camera tester that has a lot more functionality for network cabling; will tell you how far the break is. I’ll post a pic when I get home.IMG_4966.jpeg

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
How are you wanting to test? I use the Gardner Bender version of this on every cable I make and every run I punch down and terminate. All it does is show continuity, but that's enough for me.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nabman

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe there are 2 kinds of questions one can ask and the test equipment are different for each.

1) Is the wire continuous? Are there any breaks along the way or is there a break at the terminators?
The majority of testers (at least the ones we can afford as diyers) test continuity. And since continuity is continuity, they are all similar in effectiveness. Just get one that is reasonably priced and looks/feels nice to you! I have a generic one that I purchased cheap years ago and it has served me well.

2) Will the cable carry the data signals at the speeds we need them to without corruption, errors, etc.? e.g. at gigabit network speeds?
This requires that the wires be continuous of course, but it also requires that the terminators have been installed per specs ... there will be a maximum amount of wire that can been untwisted or we lose the ability to reject interference from stray emi. This testing probably requires lab grade equipment.
But the specs allow for some margin and I have never had a terminator that I installed fail in this (if they passed the continuity test).

I have, however, encountered a case where this issue showed up - my brother had an outlet in one of his rooms where the network was flaky. When we opened the box we noticed that the installer had untwisted more than needed and so there was an inch or so of straight/untwisted cable behind the terminator. We cut the cable and redid rj45 plug and the problem went away.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.