Should I even try to get plates with a 5442?

Reaction score
I just got a new IPC-T54IR-ZE from EmpireTech that I was going to attempt to read plates with but I'm not sure it will be possible. What do you think? Is this a camera issue or a settings issue? I realize the field of view is very wide even with the camera zoomed all the way in.

Should I attempt to mess with settings more or just give up and try a different camera with more zoom? I was attempting this camera because I was worried a bullet camera wouldn't look very good compared to the turret.

This is a daytime image attached

My settings:

Anti-flicker: Outdoor
Shutter: 1/100000
Gain: 10-20
Exposure comp: 0
Auto Iris: on
3D NR: on
3D NR Level: 50
2D NR level: 50
backlight: off
Style: Standard
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Saturation: 50
Sharpness: 50
Gamma: 100
WB: Auto
Day/Night: B/W
Defog: off
Ai SSA: Off

Attachments

Reaction score
Like Wittaj stated, you need more optical zoom. See these threads:

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is very capable if the plates are within 20-30ish feet. Outside of that you need more optical zoom.

You are using the wrong camera for your field of view.

The Z4E up to 60ish feet and the Z12E up to 200ish feet.
off thead a bit
is there a C or CS mount version of the camera?

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
is there a C or CS mount version of the camera?
You could check with Andy to make sure. However, IMO this camera only comes with a threaded lens mount. One could possibility find an adapter for threaded to C and test to see if a fixed focal length or zoom lens would work.

Keep in mind that where the image focus in regard to senor placement must also be taken into consideration along with the physical size of the lens. If you find something that works, please let us know as others may also have an interest in a lens modification for this camera.

RJM_50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With the 1/1.8 image sensor you don't need the shutter speed cranked that high. I have both of mine set a 1/1000 at night and it works with default shutter speed during the day.
I have both the a Turret IPC-T54IR-ZE and the Bullet IPC-T54IR-Z4E cameras doing LPR for me.
The more common Bullet 12x zoom IPC-T54IR-Z4E camera has a lot of zoom to get a close view of vehicle license plates. Mine is shooting over oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the roadway, and captures plates at ~75ft away. It's a 25MPH zone, but it captured a mini license plate on the back of a speeding motorcycle.
While the cheaper Turret 5x zoom IPC-T54IR-ZE camera is right next to the roadway almost square with license plates going past. We don't have front license plates in my State, so I have to capture everyone as their leaving. This small turret camera is only looking at vehicles ~15ft as they cross the field of view. It's possible, but it must be right up next to vehicles

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
z12 will give you more zoom but less car. you will be getting mostly the plate. you could use the ZE as the color overview cam to capture the wider scene as the cars pass by. Camera's multiply like rabbits someone around here used to say.