Zone Crossing

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im posting this here instead of customizing because i think its more of an issue i am having then a custom setup..

I have zone A, zone B and zone C setup as depicted in images attached.. and then i have the following settings for object detection and zones... ill attach images to kinda show a picture what im trying to do...

ONly want trigger for object passing from zone A to B... i know i still need to adjust detection size.. i have it set to smallest chage for testing...

for final setup.. i want it to detect anything from a big dog and up... sats, racoons, squirell etc.. i dont care about..

2020-07-27 10_15_57-Window.png2020-07-27 10_13_00-Window.png2020-07-27 10_13_19-Window.png2020-07-27 10_13_38-Window.png2020-07-27 10_14_04-Window.png2020-07-27 10_14_29-Window.png

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Using zones with Edge Vector has been having problems.
Change to simple and see if it corrects your problems.
It will have more false motion, but with 3 zones, it will be very few extra.
I had to do the same thing.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, I always set up zone A for entire screen then put my zones in b,c,d,e, etc.
I was having problems and email support suggested I do that, and it worked.

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys,, ill give it a go here in a bit. and will share the results with the changes made.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, I always set up zone A for entire screen then put my zones in b,c,d,e, etc.
I was having problems and email support suggested I do that, and it worked.
You can use A, but if you already have A set up as a partial zone, I just use zone G for the full screen coverage. Works fine.

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so strange thing.. this works on my cameras (reolink) flawlessly.. great.. when i set this up at my parents cameras (lorex) it does not seem to work... hmm.. i am going to wipe ALL settings and start over.. it should work if it has the same settings... also.. gonna go to toy store and buy a rc car... that way i dont have to keep running outside to trigger a camera!! lol

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
on thing... my folks have 4k cameras and i have 2k cameras.. would that mean the contrast and object size would be different formats due to resolution?

Reaction score
on thing... my folks have 4k cameras and i have 2k cameras.. would that mean the contrast and object size would be different formats due to resolution?
Yes more or less. Anything based on number of pixels and object size will depend on the resolution and the FOV/zoom. Example, a car that is seen on a 2.8mm lens FOV will be much smaller than the same car at 32mm FOV.

Now if that car on a 2.8mm FOV is on a 2MP cam, the number of pixels it covers will be much less than the same car on an 8MP cam with the same lens.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My initial thought was your two zones are too small. Whenever I have seen zone crossing set up it's a much larger area for each zone so that a person is in the zone long enough for the camera to recognize it meets the criteria for a trigger.

I'm no expert but that's my thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok.. so i have gotten the zone working.. but then they get messed up... i have 4 zones.. setup so i know if a car is entering or leaving the driveway... when leaving it triggers ONLY the leaving alert... good.. when entering it triggers entering and leaving.... and now... for some reason when i am leaving... my head obviously hit zone C.. but theres no way i hit zone B yet it triggers an enter alert.... sigh,,,,

Does anyone have any expereince with multiple zones on one image with seperate triggers?

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First off why do you care if people are leaving? I would focus on incoming targets. Your zones are kind of small, therefore your "min object size" has to be small. You are also trying to look too far down the drive. If you are interested farther down the drive, get another cam. I would suggest an equation such as A-B>C and make zones a little further in, larger, and close together, but not touching. Zone A farthest, next zone B, then zone C, the closest. I use zone D as full screen. Don't know how Sun sets on your drive, but 3 zones help w/ false alerts. Think about how your object (target) is covering the zones, since you are almost looking horizontal. Most times you have movement in all zones at same time. Don't know how Ken has his MD algorithms set.

Last edited:

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
reason for tracking objects leaving is when delivery comes up the drive, i can tell when they leave.. i draw a map based off of the alert tones i hear and the sequence i hear them.. it allows me to draw a picture without haveing to look at the cameras.. and when something is off then i will actually look at the cameras....

the delay in receiving a push notification is very slow.... 1-3 seconds for the phone to alert... then .5 - 1.5 seconds to look at the phone and press on the alert.. takes approx 2 - 2.5 seconds for the app to open and login.. then i still have to choose either "live" camera or "alerts" as to which both pages need to load... taking at least another half a second to 1 second.. if it is the cameras... i have to hunt for the actual camera.. as there are 20 of them.. even to group i have to find the correct group and then select teh correct camera.. whcih takes a few seconds..

or if i am just looking at the alert.. it shows me what has already happened. and i still find my self going back to the live feed... soo being able to determin the direction of the object as it triggers the cameras is a nice touch for me.

all in all from push notification to actually looking at ANY image, be it still or trigger recording or live feed takes approx 8 seconds.. sad to say i can get up from my chair and walk out the door in 5 seconds.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The latency you speak of looks typical in my area. So I don't think you are going to get better. Set your alerts up to send an MSM (SMS on BI) along with the BI push notifications. Set the quality level very low (yes you can still see what is happening) and this may reduce the latency, and get a pic through with very bad cell service.

Last edited:

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The latency you speak of looks typical in my area. So I don't think you are going to get better. Set your alerts up to send an MSM (SMS on BI) along with the BI push notifications. Set the quality level very low (yes you can still see what is happening) and this may reduce the latency, and get a pic through with very bad cell service.
i wll give it a try for sure, thanks!!