Zion National Park

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am planing to go for 10 days trip to Zion National park. any recommendations/things to do/things I will need to take with me.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am planing to go for 10 days trip to Zion National park. any recommendations/things to do/things I will need to take with me.
So I will share Ash with you :), prior to making our week long trip down the Oregon coast I contacted Ash with questions, via e-mail. She was Extremely helpful. She made sure we packed a lunch before going into the Redwoods, bought some Subway sandwiches the night before. She gave us many other tips, I would make sure you visit all her sites first, they explain a lot. Also, make sure you check locally there since we found certain attractions were closed and some closed early during the time we went.

Oh and be sure and read the Comments, I learned a lot that way too from others already who have gone there...

Have Fun!!!

Last edited:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
A good day pack with water, layered clothing, good hiking footwear, hat, sunblock. When on the trolley you can look at all the people that looked like they just walked out of REI with the latest gear LOL
Springdale has a good market and stores for any thing else you might need.
Buy the park pass and enter and exit park at will. Trolly goes into Springdale so you can grab that from virtually any hotel or B&B. Don't be afraid of at least going as far as you feel comfortable on Angeles Landing, turn around when you feel any hesitation. Don't feed the squirrels :p

Last edited:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Opps, SPRINGDALE :facepalm:

Also day trips from Springdale to Bryce or North Rim Grand Canyon are totally doable and advised if you have 10 days, but check if North Rim is letting people in if closed to camping. In October for a while after campsite and park building is closed you can still go to view canyon.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
We overnighted in a private campground in Springdale, walked to the park entrance, and hopped on the park bus. If you're not planning on a lot of hiking I think you can take in the major attractions in half of the days you have allotted, so including Bryce for 1 to 3 days is worth thinking about.

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had enough of Bryce in one day YMMV, unless you'd want to catch a sunset/sunrise, or be more leisurely than just a day trip. As suggested, I found it easy to hit all the hiking spots/trails I wanted at Zion within a 5 day or so vacation, so take your time (I was doing up to 3 hikes/trails a day-a lot younger then), and expand out a bit. I think I also went to Kodachrome Basin, just driving around...

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I had enough of Bryce in one day YMMV, unless you'd want to catch a sunset/sunrise, or be more leisurely than just a day trip. As suggested, I found it easy to hit all the hiking spots/trails I wanted at Zion within a 5 day or so vacation, so take your time (I was doing up to 3 hikes/trails a day-a lot younger then), and expand out a bit. I think I also went to Kodachrome Basin, just driving around...
Yeah same for me I have only made day trips there from Zion and felt that enough for me. Some people really like Bryce though. I have a friend with a Sprinter camper and he liked it better than Zion. I can't understand that at all, Zion is one of my favorite National Parks.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
At Bryce, stopping at the viewpoints to look at the tops of the hoodo fields is the big attraction, and what's in all the spectacular pictures. What I found was the most fun however was hiking through the bottom of the hoodo fields.