XVR vs NVR for IP cam only

edem2302

n3wb
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The XVR in this case is more powerful than the NVR you show. Other than needing an external switch to plug the IP cameras into, the XVR should work fine. Make all of your settings on the cameras themselves, only use the XVR to set recording functions. (Same advice for NVR’s)

By the way, Dahua makes some very good analog/CVI cameras and you can run a mix of both on the XVR.

edem2302

n3wb
Reaction score
The XVR in this case is more powerful than the NVR you show. Other than needing an external switch to plug the IP cameras into, the XVR should work fine. Make all of your settings on the cameras themselves, only use the XVR to set recording functions. (Same advice for NVR’s)

By the way, Dahua makes some very good analog/CVI cameras and you can run a mix of both on the XVR.

yes, its exactly what i think...
this XVR is less expensive and can mix Cam IP and BNC with same function !

so i don't understand why the NVR is more expensive, i have ask to the seller, but he said " if you have cam ip you need to buy an NVR"

thanks for reply !!;)

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
I prefer NVR's when dealing only with IP cameras. They're designed specifically for IP cameras and usually have a higher network capability and better camera compatibility overall.

edem2302

n3wb
Reaction score
I prefer NVR's when dealing only with IP cameras. They're designed specifically for IP cameras and usually have a higher network capability and better camera compatibility overall.
Yes i'm agree with you, but when we compare
This models the XVR its better...
Normally i will receive the XVR on 18th and i will try it ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree. If you never have any plans on using any CVI cams I would also recommend an NVR. I was simply stating that given the two models the OP asked about, that XVR was more capable.

For a comparable NVR look at the 5000 series

edem2302

n3wb
Reaction score
Agree. If you never have any plans on using any CVI cams I would also recommend an NVR. I was simply stating that given the two models the OP asked about, that XVR was more capable.

For a comparable NVR look at the 5000 series
For information ;)

So, at the end there is a big difference, i received the XVR and even if it's accept ipcam, i lost some function, like IVS ( tripwire), i have configured it on the camera and it's work with my NVR4104

But when i use the XVR all camera function don't import on the XVR and all IVS notification on DMSS don't work, i can use mvt detection only because of it's the only function XVR accept for IPCAM

All function are really lock on COAX cam and IPCAM only accept for basic usage but the XVR change some configuration ( or impact notification configuration)

Other problem
i can't see multiple Views if it's IP CAM, i see only on fullscreen for 1 ip cam
I see the green camera Icon on the little view but it's stay black until i put on fullscreen ( 1 view full screen)

So, i think for ip cam, we really need NVR

I know i can configure all ipcam on DMSS for notification but when i launch notification i won't have the event record (only the event notification) because of stockage ( on the XVR) ?

I think i will buy the NVR in one or two month
But the NVR record only one ipcam with 4k resolution ( i have 2 ipcam 8MP) and the rest only in 1080p... Bad but no choice...

Sorry for my english :)

For information i have an NVR4104-4ks2

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you need to play with it some more. I have IP cams connected to an XVR and IVS works fine on them. You should make ALL IP cam settings on the camera, don’t make settings for IP cameras on the XVR.

Download SmartPSS for viewing all cameras, better than the XVR view . But only make changes on the cameras themselves.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok I understand see what you mean on IVS, yes it removes IVS capability from the CVI cameras when you add IP camera capability, but IVS still works fine on the IP cameras.

I can view anyway I want, this shows 1 IP camera top left, the others are CVI

XVR-MixofCVIandIP.jpg

edem2302

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok I understand see what you mean on IVS, yes it removes IVS capability from the CVI cameras when you add IP camera capability, but IVS still works fine on the IP cameras.

I can view anyway I want, this shows 1 IP camera top left, the others are CVI

View attachment 98519
Sorry for the delay,

i have to test with a NVR before reply ( and it's cost money :lmao:)

so after different tests :

1 - you're right, we can use an XVR and it's OK, just you can't use IA for IPcam but without this all is OK !!

But when i connect my 5 IPcam, the XVR show me on my tvscreen juste 3 of them ( the rest is black screen in multi-screen, show me the image only when full screen), so at this moment i thinks it's a problem with the XVR

BUT not !!

2 - i bought a NVR 2208-I, it's really better because i can use IA fonctionnality for my VTO !! instead of the XVR which it can do that only for Analog cam

But i have the same problem, only 3cam and the rest show a black screen... if i open a black screen ( the 4th ipcam for exemple) i can see correctly but in multi-screen i can't see more than 3 cam at the same time... maybe the network bandwitch but i have 5 ipcam and it's create for 8

on the smartphone, i don't have this problem...

for information i have :
2 ipcam dahua 4k
2 ipcam dahua 2k
1 VTO dahua 720p

At all, to respond to my question, and like BIGREDFISH said :

use XVR for IPcam is totaly OK, just you need to know if you want to use IA of the XVR is only for analog cam and if want to use IA for a IPcam which don't already have IA function for exemple, you need to have an NVR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think your problem with only seeing 3 cams is either a bandwidth issue or the computer you are using is not able to stream more than that.

I stream live 20-25 cameras (mix of CVI and IP) all day using SmartPSS. (Substream)

And to clarify, using an XVR you CAN use IVS on IP cameras. But you have to choose to do so OR run IVS on the CVI cams. You just can’t do both.

Last edited: