Xprotect 2021 R1Release

AG918

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I installed it over 2020 R1 and has screwed everything up. I am getting installation errors "could not configure the server". The installation log shows " ServerAdminException: Error authenticating user, service is down". I've spent two days trying to find a solution - nothing so far. There is a thread with a similar installation issue here, but the suggested remedies don't work for me.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I installed it over 2020 R1 and has screwed everything up. I am getting installation errors "could not configure the server". The installation log shows " ServerAdminException: Error authenticating user, service is down". I've spent two days trying to find a solution - nothing so far. There is a thread with a similar installation issue here, but the suggested remedies don't work for me.
I installed it over a previous installation and it also failed to install. I think i got similar errors, all pointing to the SQL Express database. It messed up my system and despite having a configuration backup, I was not able to restore to the old version because it complained of version incompatibilities. My original installation is about 5 years old and I update it every year. I'm not certain, but what I think happens is the underlying SQL database remains same/in place during each upgrade process.

To cut a long story short, I pulled plug and did a fresh windows install. I installed my previous version nice and cleanly with no errors. What I did notice is that the SQL database that installs automatically was a later version (2019) instead of 2014. I then upgraded with no errors to 2021R1. Unfortunately I lost my last 14 days of recording and I had to reconfigure all my cameras from beginning (7).

Was a good DR exercise, I got a nice clean windows install now, and am running 2021R1. I'd hate to repeat this on a larger site :(

AG918

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed it over a previous installation and it also failed to install. I think i got similar errors, all pointing to the SQL Express database.
Having spent another day unsuccessfully tweaking IIS, WPA and installing/uninstalling MS SQL Server editions, I finally managed to install it without a fresh Win 10 install. Just follow the steps outlined here and the 2021 R1 release is good to go:

0. First, from the Control Panel → "Programs and Features", uninstall everything that says Milestone, XProtect, and Microsoft SQL. Make sure that you uninstall every component that says SQL. (This will also remove any SQL databases, used by XProtect and/or other applications!)

Note: Alternatively, a freeware application like Revo Uninstaller can help you with this part.

1. Next, delete these folders and files:

C:\ProgramData\Milestone\
C:\Program Files\Milestone\
C:\Program Files(x86)\Milestone\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VideoOS\
C:\ProgramData\VideoDeviceDrivers\
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\

2. Delete the following registry keys:
(Important: Perform a full export of the Windows Registry before making any changes to it!)

HKLM\Software\VideoOS
HKLM\Software\SurveillanceSystem
HKLM\Software\Milestone
HKLM\Software\Wow6432node\VideoOS
HKLM\Software\Wow6432node\Milestone

3. Finally, you need to remove IIS and WPA. From the Control panel, select "Add or remove programs and features". (On a Windows server, this has to be made from the Server Manager.)

Remove these two Windows services:
1. World Wide Web Publishing service (IIS - Internet Information Services).
2. Windows Process Activation service (WPA).

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
0. First, from the Control Panel → "Programs and Features", uninstall everything that says Milestone, XProtect, and Microsoft SQL. Make sure that you uninstall every
Sounds like you did a fresh install. How big was your setup ?, I assume you had to add all your cameras back manually. How many ?

Did you have Rules/Alarms or other configuration that was lost ?

AG918

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like you did a fresh install. How big was your setup ?, I assume you had to add all your cameras back manually. How many ?

Did you have Rules/Alarms or other configuration that was lost ?
Yes, it was a totally fresh install of the XProtect, but over the existing Win 10, since reinstalling Win 10 would be a lot more time consuming. I had to add all my 8 cameras manually. Actually, I had a full backup of the 2020 R1 settings, but didn't try it.

denywinarto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I couldn't get alarm to work on this version. Was it working on previous version?
All i need to do is to make milestone server sounding alarm when a movement detected at night

On the matrix table they said only alarm manager for smart client that requires license.

Sybaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've never had Xprotect and tried to load the latest version several times but it always hangs up on IIS. I get the message that IIS must be loaded manually so I configured it exactly as Milestone shows. Still won't complete install.

I have even done as above and completed deleted all remnants of previous tries. Still nothing.

Are previous versions easier to install?