X-10!! and Hubitat

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have probably 30-50 X-10 plug in controllers, or "Lamp Modules" as they are called. I would like to use these to control my ever expanding Christmas displays. Nothing fancy, just on/off. Is there a method to connect them to Hubitat? Or should I just try to get them working with an X-10 timer?

For those that don't know, X-10 was the original home automation system, rolled out in 1978. It uses power lines to communicate to outlets, plug-ins, switches, etc. It has several weaknesses compared to current Z-Wave and Zigbee, but was very popular.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A quick google search says it is possible. I seem to remember having a serial dongle for controlling X10 stuff from a PC. I wonder if there's anything newer than that.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought into the X-10 system when it was king. Now I'm stuck with stuff that doesn't communicate very well, if at all. The primary reason being the phase bridge bit the dust. I hate to have to replace 20 light switches and get another whole system but that's the ultimate goal and only practical way out.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a bunch of old X10 stuff in boxes that's been replaced by Z-wave/Zigbee now. Should dump it as a lot on ebay and see if I can get anything for it.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I still utilize X10 here for my Christmas display. Been using the Black and Decker outdoor Freewire stuff for over 20 years. Inside the house use lamp or appliance modules.

I just pack these with the Christmas decorations.

The X10 is connected to the Leviton Omni Pro 2 combo panel, Homeseer and Home Assistant. Using CM11A modules and Volp's X10 TW-523 (X10 on steroids).

I leave the old Elk X10 signal monitor for any noise. I am at 100% signals here with X10 and UPB.

I also still use an old X10 wireless keypad via a W800. I like that I can stand outside and send one command to the X10 and see all of the lighting go on.

The inwall switches here are UPB (X10 on steroids). Also utilize Zigbee, ZWave and lately modded with Tasmota firmware WiFi switches using MQTT.

The serial to USB cables work fine with the CM11A. I also utilize Digi USB to 8 port serial devices. Both work fine in Linux and WIndows.

Best device is the CM11A or Volp stuff via an RS-232 to USB cable.

Last edited: