Wyze 24/7 professional monitoring for $4.99/M. Free hardware with annual contract (no cell backup)

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
No cell backup would kill it for me.
I have seen too many times they cut the utilities before they enter the home.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its certainly better than nothing and anything that cuts into ADT profits makes me happy.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I will give Wyse some credit for driving the price down greatly for the kind of crappy little cams and other IoT things out there (and I guess alarm systems now).

People are going to buy them. At least they're cheap now. ; )

Reaction score
And those people will get exactly what the paid for. Ignorance is bliss.
On the other hand ... ANY security system is better than none at all, just as any camera is better than no camera.

Many people are extremely cost conscious. If the Wyze system persuades some of them to buy into home security, even on a shoestring, they're still better off than having nothing. Granted, a system without cell backup won't slow down a professional thief for one instant, but a lot of home burglaries are the work of druggies and opportunists who don't think that logically. With them, the Wyze system may provide some deterrence.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is the lower the quality the more likely it is to fail when needed most is the big point.

Reaction score
The problem is the lower the quality the more likely it is to fail when needed most is the big point.
No argument there, but a system that at least works some of the time will still beat a non-existent security system. And perhaps some people will upgrade when they realize the limitations of what they've paid for. We see it happen all the time, where people will decide to upgrade their cameras after getting frustrated with a bad camera.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Like I said, ignorance is bliss. How does paying for the same thing twice make it better unless you're getting the profits for the initial, wasted, purchase?

Reaction score
Like I said, ignorance is bliss. How does paying for the same thing twice make it better unless you're getting the profits for the initial, wasted, purchase?
To me, it's a matter of lowering the psychological barrier to investing in a better system.

Sure, if you buy a cheap system and later put it aside in favor of a better system, then arguably that initial expenditure has been wasted. But it's the difference between saying to someone, "Oh, that thing will is junk. Don't waste your money" versus saying, "Well, it's a low cost system, but it is certainly better than nothing, so go ahead and get it if that's all you can afford right now." I long ago decided that it was much better to encourage my neighbors to install a $20 Wyze Cam rather than try to hold them to my own standards and discourage them from doing anything at all.

Some people who buy cheap equipment will graduate to better stuff. Very few of us get into high-end camera systems on an all-or-nothing basis. Certainly I didn't. You start small, and you move up. Maybe later you realize your initial purchase wasn't the best one to make, but that's part of the learning process.