Writing Clips To NAS

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm sorry but I'm almost at my wits end with this and have exhausted my resources (even though I'm sure this is an easy fix).

I have Blue Iris running on a Win10 VM in ProxMox with maybe 5GB give or take to spare (being this is a VM I can easily allocate more resources to the local drive).

I would like to write locally to my storage in the Win 10 VM but once I get about a couple GB of video I'd like to back this video up to my Synology DS418 NAS (running WD red drives).

For some reason or another I can't seem to make this happen (I've tried countless configs in the "clips and archiving" tab of the Blue Iris settings to no avail).

I can successfully setup a mapped network drive/network location in the Win 10 VM no problem... but haven't been able to successfully backup my files to my network storage.

I'm not sure if this is a permissions issue or what but please help!

Reaction score
Thanks TonyR!

I watched the video and checked to make sure all the settings referenced match what is on my system but for some reason it still won't record/backup clips to my NAS (the logs give me a "MoveFile Error 31" as well as some error related to my NAS):

1675180511050.png

1675180560215.png

Also, not sure what these green bars labelled as bvr H264 mean next to the clips (perhaps backing up, but it shouldn't take that long... my NAS has two 1Gbps NICs that are bonded giving me a potential 2Gbps):

1675180852700.png

Kinda at a loss but I'll keep watching tutorials and going through the manual... Blue Iris is awesome but it sure is complicated.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR!

I watched the video and checked to make sure all the settings referenced match what is on my system but for some reason it still won't record/backup clips to my NAS (the logs give me a "MoveFile Error 31" as well as some error related to my NAS):

View attachment 152594

View attachment 152595

Also, not sure what these green bars labelled as bvr H264 mean next to the clips (perhaps backing up, but it shouldn't take that long... my NAS has two 1Gbps NICs that are bonded giving me a potential 2Gbps):

View attachment 152596

Kinda at a loss but I'll keep watching tutorials and going through the manual... Blue Iris is awesome but it sure is complicated.
This very well could be the problem...BI says your NAS at is over allocated (out of room).

1675180560215.png

Could you post a screenshot of how your drives are allocated?

BTW, are you putting clips initially on your C: drive in the "New" folder and then and moving them?

Reaction score
This very well could be the problem...BI says your NAS at is over allocated (out of room).

View attachment 152606

Could you post a screenshot of how your drives are allocated?

BTW, are you putting clips initially on your C: drive in the "New" folder and then and moving them?
Okay so that's what it means, interesting since I have 8TB give or take of unused space on my NAS... so it's definitely not that (or BI is reading my NAS wrong).

I am putting my clips initially on the C: drive (which maybe has 10GB of free space since I intended on setting BI up more or less thin so it would just process, buffer and backup to my NAS) and then moving them to the stored folder which I've tried setting to both the C:/BlueIris/Stored folder as well as a folder on my NAS.

Here are the screenshots that I believe you're asking for (let me know if I'm wrong or you need more info):

1675194164921.png

1675194192087.png

1675194214606.png

1675194252263.png

Again, thank you so much for all of your help and please let me know what other info I could provide... I'm sure I'm going to slam my head into the wall once I realize it's something really dumb.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you running BI as SYSTEM or as an admin user? In either case make sure that SYSTEM or the admin user has the required rights in the NAS.

Error 31 means that the device is not functioning correctly.

Reaction score
Are you running BI as SYSTEM or as an admin user? In either case make sure that SYSTEM or the admin user has the required rights in the NAS.

Error 31 means that the device is not functioning correctly.
Thank you!!!

This is the one thing I kept coming across that I haven't tried yet... I did come across this article and think I applied what they recommended but didn't work

I'll try a few other things and post back... I can't remember if I have to set in the settings or what.

Also note that I just checked the startup tab and see the following

1675195962774.png

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What size is your C:\ drive?
2GB for video files is nothing.

There is zero point in moving files from New to Stored when they are both on the same drive.

Have you tested your URL to the nas in a browser to make sure it is correct?

Reaction score
What size is your C:\ drive?
2GB for video files is nothing.

There is zero point in moving files from New to Stored when they are both on the same drive.

Have you tested your URL to the nas in a browser to make sure it is correct?
looney2ns,

I'm running BI on Win10 as a VM in ProxMox and I've set it up pretty thin (about 32GB of which I have 10GB of free space)... again, just using the VM to run BI, process, and store temporarily until it backs up to my NAS.

I know there's really no point in moving files to stored from new when they're both local (this was a result of me just troubleshooting and trying just about every solution I can think of... but thank you for confirming my suspicions that it was pointless).

Btw I have no problem mapping my NAS on the BI system and can access it via a browser as well (you can also see in my above screenshots that I was able to specify my NAS in the "Clips and archiving" tab which I'm pretty sure you couldn't do unless it was accessible).

I did just notice there are 2 applications for BI: Blue Iris and Blue Iris Admin... I tried running the later and waiting to see where it writes.

I really appreciate all of your help... I'm glad to know it's not as simple/stupid as I thought... i know I'm gonna lose it once I figure it out.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What version of BI are you using? So you are running BI as SYSTEM so you need to ensure that the SYSTEM account has the required perms to access and write to the share on NAS.

Reaction score
What version of BI are you using? So you are running BI as SYSTEM so you need to ensure that the SYSTEM account has the required perms to access and write to the share on NAS.
Okay... so I could be wrong but I think I figured out the issue and that was disabling this setting from running the background service:

1675207563105.png

Ever since disabling this setting I'm getting video written to my NAS just fine... I would love to just run the service in the background so if anybody could maybe give me some tips on how to optimize all this that'd be awesome...

... OTHERWISE I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYBODYS HELP TROUBLESHOOTING THIS...

This forum is truly awesome and once I have everything nice and tuned up I look forward to contributing in the future ♡ ♡ ♡

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it still points to a user/credentials issue. Turn that back on and let BI start up as a service. Open Task manager. Click on Services tab. Click on Open Services at the bottom of the screen. In the window that comes up look for Blue Iris Service. There's a column for "Log On As." Make sure that account matches as necessary for access to the NAS.

Reaction score
I think it still points to a user/credentials issue. Turn that back on and let BI start up as a service. Open Task manager. Click on Services tab. Click on Open Services at the bottom of the screen. In the window that comes up look for Blue Iris Service. There's a column for "Log On As." Make sure that account matches as necessary for access to the NAS.
... so when I try to do that I get the following error:

1675211714344.png

This is the user account I have setup for the service:

1675212718317.png

1675211757201.png

The hostname of my BI server is BlueIris as well as my username and none of this is in a Windows domain or anything like that (and note this is all internal so not super concerned)... I also don't have any accounts accessing my NAS with the username BlueIris... so maybe thats the issue?

I'll try that next but at least I got it working in the interim but I would ultimately like to fine tune my system for recording/efficiency/security.... I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP AND LOOK FORWARD TO CONTRIBUTING WHEN i UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, you want it running as a service. I know that I've seen this before but can't recall exactly. I think the way that it works is that the BI service login/password is the same as your Windows login. Quick search says need to use a local account, password, can't be blank, make sure the account has admin rights. Not sure how the user/password gets passed to the NAS. Yeah, try making it all the same. Might not need to be but can work back from there.

Reaction score
Yes, you want it running as a service. I know that I've seen this before but can't recall exactly. I think the way that it works is that the BI service login/password is the same as your Windows login. Quick search says need to use a local account, password, can't be blank, make sure the account has admin rights. Not sure how the user/password gets passed to the NAS. Yeah, try making it all the same. Might not need to be but can work back from there.
Hahaha I feel ya... just for shits and giggles I'll setup a user account on my NAS with the same creds as my BI machine and post back my findings... this is why I drink haha (and people wonder why IT gets paid what they do)!

Reaction score
Hahaha I feel ya... just for shits and giggles I'll setup a user account on my NAS with the same creds as my BI machine and post back my findings... this is why I drink haha (and people wonder why IT gets paid what they do)!
Ya... unfortunately no luck when I setup a user on my NAS... same 1069 error from several posts up.

Reaction score
Here's what's worked for me so far... disabling the background service and just setting footage to the "new/alerts" folder to like a gig and when it exceeds that send to the "stored" folder which is pointed to my NAS with completely different creds than anything my BI server uses... no idea why it works but it does (as does many things IT)... I just need to figure out a smart way to manage that footage... really wish it was simpler than this but is what it is I guess... hopefully this helps others (even if temporarily)

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Permission/credential problem?

On your Win10 VM, go into Control Panel > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials

There should be a listing for the IP address that your using for the NAS. If you click on that IP address, it should show you the User Name, password would be asterik'd out and then for Persistence, mine has 'enterprise'

Then I would go to Synology Control Panel > File Sharing > Users and groups. Find the user that shows up in the Windows Credentials on the VM, click on that user name and then EDIT. In the window that opens up, at the top is a tab - permissions, click on it. The column on the left is a list of 'shared folders' . Find the folder you are saving you Blue Iris files to and make sure that user has read/write permissions on that folder

You can also delete the credential for the synology ip address, and then try to login in to the shared folder (\\synologyipaddress\shared folder name) and it you should get a prompt for username and password so that you can enter new info

Reaction score
Since I started this post I have corrected my settings to only record new footage to the local drive, the stored footage goes to a shared folder on my NAS (and so far seems to be working).

At some point the Blue Iris app crashed causing my NVR to essentially go down so I'm finally getting back to trying to solve why Blue Iris won't move "stored" footage to my NAS while running as a service (got caught up with some other tasks that took precedence).

Looking into the credentials mentioned by eeeeesh now, I'll post my findings once I have something worth posting.

Reaction score
Btw, I got it working via a suggestion from scottwoodall70 on BI Service Failed to Start - 1069 error - Blue Iris:

I was fiddling around with it some more and saw someone had same problem and solution was to enable built-in windows admin account that is disabled by default. Figured I would give it a try and it worked. I then created another windows account and gave it admin rights and it worked! I don't know what is wrong with the original admin account I was using. I mean its a fresh install of Win10 and its the only account that's every been on the machine but for some reason Blue Iris didn't like it. So, easy solution for me anyway, was to create a new account in windows and give it admin rights and then BI ran as a service properly.

Now to get everything configured right and start fiddling with Deepstack.

Thanks again all for the help!