Wondering if the mainstream of a camera is wise to be used for live view?

rios

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new to the IP cam space. I purchased the IPC-K42A, from amazon but from @EMPIRETECANDY. I intend to mount this as a baby camera as I heard it is a good camera for indoor use and it seems a lot of folks use this camera for this precise use case. I currently do not have BI as I only have 1 camera, this camera. I intend to setup a windows VM in my homelab server for BI but when I get another camera apart from this one. Currently just using it with Home Assistant to give me access to the stream via RTSP on the home app in iOS etc and I will be using the DMSS to view recordings and such.

My question is as follows, does it make sense to use the mainstream for live viewing or is it more typical to use the substream when doing live view and leave the recording for the mainstream? This camera I have has 1 mainstream at h265 for good compression and up to 1440p, seems like it.

Thank you all so much for the help. This is my first time posting so if I am doing things wrong please kindly correct me and point me in the direction of where I should go and I can try again. I have researched quite a bit here and in other forums, but haven't heard anyone explicitly say something using mainstream or substream for streaming live view.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're using Blue Iris and if your CPU load if high, IE have a lot of cameras like 5, 10 or more and the CPU is up over 50 or 60%,, sub stream is the way to go. If you're not using Blue Iris the main stream is fine.