Windows 11 Secure Boot

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My BI PC currently on starting up also starts BI running in the background, this is very helpful for updating the PC remotely and not worrying about starting BI manually.

Now windows 11 has shown as a potential update but it will not install without secure boot turned on. Can I turn Secure Boot on and still have BI start automatically in the background?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can I turn Secure Boot on and still have BI start automatically in the background?
Sorry, I can't answer that but I just had to state that personally I would NOT install a new O/S on one of my PC's for at least 6 months to a year after its release to the public!
I believe in letting someone else be the lab rat and deal with the initial BAD bugs. Of course, it's YOUR call. :cool:

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes you can enable secure boot and still have BI startup as a service.

With secure boot you have to ensure that you’ve not enabled disk encryption if secure boot is currently disabled, so make sure you decrypt the disk before enabling secure boot in the bios.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
enabling secure boot requires Windows being installed (system disk) on a GPT formatted disk and BIOS which support UEFI.

Windows 11 by default is now requiring several features that are available on new(er) systems to be enabled; e.g. Secure Boot, TPM 2.0. Older systems depending upon age may or may not have these capabilities. (yes, there are ways to hack around these requirements. whether or not MS will allow these -user modifications- to persist has not been decided)

There are many articles < sic your favorite search engine > available which assist in the identification and enabling processes; there is a specific order of how changes must be implemented to preserve an existing installation. (with any major upgrade BACKUP is your friend)

Win 11 and BI 5.4.9.18 have been playing nicely together for the past few weeks for me (YMMV).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
@jmhmcse very good and important point, the hard disk must be in GPT format which is needed for Uefi boot else the PC/laptop won’t boot.

There is a util in windows to convert an MBR formatted disk to GPT called surprisingly enough mbr2gpt which should leave your data intact but as always make sure you have a backup just in case. Microsoft recommend that you backup and reformat if you need to convert but I have used the util on a test laptop and for me it worked without loosing any of the existing data.