Will this NVR setup work

Adam Bales

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a Blue Iris system running my personal home system but a family member would like me to set up a simple system for them. Their house is not wired for ethernet everywhere so my options are fairly limited. Starting out it is only going to be 1 camera on a small covered deck monitoring the back stairs. I don't want to mess with a PC based system for them because they won't be able to troubleshoot. My plan was as follows...

NVR in living room connected to current ATT modem/router or new router if necessary. My old ASUS router setup in bridge mode or wifi bridge/extender plugged into the cabinet over the fireplace outside on their deck. A poe injector connected to the router and then connected to the camera through conduit. I was planning on putting a dahua starlight turret or mini dome at their back door monitoring the steps and deck. I'm not sure which cam would be best as what I installed for myself 5 years ago have probably changed. They are not wanting anything crazy, just wanting simple motion detection alerts with recording so I was planning on setting it up on the DMSS app.

Please let me know if this will or won't work. Open to suggestions. Trying to get it simple but better than an ARLO or similar wifi cam.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have a Blue Iris system running my personal home system but a family member would like me to set up a simple system for them. Their house is not wired for ethernet everywhere so my options are fairly limited. Starting out it is only going to be 1 camera on a small covered deck monitoring the back stairs. I don't want to mess with a PC based system for them because they won't be able to troubleshoot. My plan was as follows...

NVR in living room connected to current ATT modem/router or new router if necessary. My old ASUS router setup in bridge mode or wifi bridge/extender plugged into the cabinet over the fireplace outside on their deck. A poe injector connected to the router and then connected to the camera through conduit. I was planning on putting a dahua starlight turret or mini dome at their back door monitoring the steps and deck. I'm not sure which cam would be best as what I installed for myself 5 years ago have probably changed. They are not wanting anything crazy, just wanting simple motion detection alerts with recording so I was planning on setting it up on the DMSS app.

Please let me know if this will or won't work. Open to suggestions. Trying to get it simple but better than an ARLO or similar wifi cam.
Hi Adam,

1) I do not like running video over my main router.
2) I do not like running video over the router's wifi.

Can it work, yes .. however it can also be very much a headache.

Thus why I prefer running the cables, as while the initial work is a headache .. over the long run it is less of a headache.

Of course some homes are easier that others to run cat5e/6 cables.

Adam Bales

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Adam,

1) I do not like running video over my main router.
2) I do not like running video over the router's wifi.

Can it work, yes .. however it can also be very much a headache.

Thus why I prefer running the cables, as while the initial work is a headache .. over the long run it is less of a headache.

Of course some homes are easier that others to run cat5e/6 cables.
Thanks. Unfortunately when they finished their basement they didn't have any wires run for anything so I don't have access. I'm hoping they have wireless cable boxes and I can move the modem to the basement. Then I can use a better router and run wires out the side of the house