Will NVR DS-7608NI-I2 Support a 8mp camera like DS-2CD2386G2-IU

FletchNZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I've been looking to update a couple of my camera to the G2 series that have the human/vehicle classification to reduce the number of false motion alerts but I'm not sure if my NVR will support it and I have no idea how to find out.
Im guessing if the camera is initiating the record it should work fine?

I was looking to get 1x DS-2CD2386G2-IU and ordered a 4mp DS-2CD2347G2-LU (though they sent me a G1 expecting me to not notice.) to my DS-7608NI-I2 NVR (firmware V4.22.005 build 191208)

Thanks

pb&j

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are going to ADD those cameras to the 3 you have listed under your current system you most likely will have bandwidth issues (3x4MP and 2x8MP). The spec on that model is 80Mbps incoming. The outgoing is much higher but you will probably have issues watching all simultaneously at full res. But, if you are replacing 2 of your cameras it will work as good as it does now. I had that model myself and when i upgraded to 7x4MP it couldn't keep up and dropped alot of frames during busy scenes. I also had my bitrate set to max variable. That's when this forum became invaluable to me explaining all that - why your system can't keep up.

FletchNZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, I see you're right, I never thought of that aspect. The idea was to add them as additional cameras.
Is that due to the NVR not having all the separate POE plugs on the back or due to the chipset on board?
Looking at the hikvision site the fastest you can get is 320 Mbps

pb&j

n3wb
Reaction score
It's not about how many POE plugs you have. I assumed you have 8 per the spec. Bandwidth is not a speed but a data limit. It is the maximum amount of data that can be moved per second. For 4k and 2k cameras I always just use the max of 16Mbps per camera for my calculations(using h.265 compression). There are charts that can help you figure out what will work with your system as far as settings that will affect your bandwidth usage. It varies based on your choice of camera settings. These include the compression (ie, h.264, h.265, h.265+, etc), frames per second, and resolution. Here is Hikvisions tool for that: Storage and Network Calculator for windows Hopefully someone who is much more versed in this will chime in. I will leave it at this before I put my foot in my mouth. Also, use the search function to help find all the info available on this site.

Last edited:

pb&j

n3wb
Reaction score
You might be able to get away with running all 5 of those cameras on your NVR ... just not at the max settings. Use the calcualtor to try and stay WELL within your 80Mbps spec. That will mean you should use the most efficient codec, lowest recommended max
bitrate and probably lower than 30fps. Bottom line is if you get it to work with results that are satisfactory to you that is all that matters.

Madgame87

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2x 4mp G2 colourvu and 2x 8mp 2386G2 - 8ch I series NVR.

One of my cameras isn’t working. Is it because of bandwidth issues?

pb&j

n3wb
Reaction score
No. Bandwidth affects the ability of your system to RECORD and STREAM BACK recordings. If you cant see your camera on your monitor in realtime all I can tell you is it's not bandwidth. Why you cant see your camera should be brought up in a different post.

FletchNZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks PB&J, Ive ordered them and will just reduce the settings and try to make the best use of the streams.
I also have them integrated into Home assistant, so Ill move that to query the cameras directly and just keep the NVR for recording.
if it all sucks ill just update my NVR to a newer model.

Thanks so much for your help, I would have gone ahead, had issues and had no idea what's going on.