Wifi, small, 12V, ONVIF/NVR capable spy camera for installation in truck bed - recommendations needed

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a topper on the back of my Tundra, and on long road trips, I keep my 3 big dogs in the back. I have an Android head unit and a permanently install travel router. My phone's hotspot powers the router (wireless internet service provider; aka WISP mode), so that multiple devices in the truck are on a LAN, with access to the web through the phone. That part works well.

I'd love to get a camera installed on the ceiling of the topper (just above the rear window of the cab) that faces down/backward to provide video of the bed. I have 12V on the ceiling of the topper, as well as cab-switchable LED lighting.

Having a small, 12VDC-powered camera that can obtain an IP address from the router in the truck would provide the simplest installation, and allow for real-time monitoring on the Android head unit (or any other device on the LAN) without having to directly connect to the camera's WIFI AP (as is the case with so many of the wifi-enabled spy cameras).

Once the camera is connected to the router (with a fixed IP), I can use any IP camera viewing app (or even the camera's GUI via LAN IP) to access the feed - and still have internet access. Plus, no need to run additional video /USB cable back to the head unit (as is the case with a traditional rear-view camera).

Anyway, after quite some time researching offerings on Amazon, I'm left a bit underwhelmed with the options. The Wyze-like cameras all seem to be internet-dependent, and have questionable reliability for direct LAN access.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would the cam be located inside the topper so that being rated for outdoor use is not a requirement?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Would the cam be located inside the topper so that being waterproof is not a requirement?
Yes, it'll be inside where it's water tight. As I was writing the initial post, I started thinking about using one of my many spare/left-over Hikvision cube cameras. They're POE, but have 12V input as well. It's a bit larger than I'd like, but it'll be a good proof-of-concept. If it works as planned, I'd like to get the same functionality in a smaller form factor.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^^ great idea.

BTW, automotive 12VDC can spike up to 15; I suggest a stabilizer/regulator to provide a clean 12VDC, like this.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
^^^ great idea.

BTW, automotive 12VDC can spike up to 15; I suggest a stabilizer/regulator to provide a clean 12VDC, like this.
Good point. I wonder what the true input range of a Hikvision cube is - but my curiosity isn't enough to sacrifice one to find out. I have several small voltage regulators that I can set and heat-shrink into the power cable...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since it'll be out of the weather, it's hard to beat one of these little TOP-201 cameras for you application, IMO.

It's 12 VDC, is available with IR, is 720p, can stream RTSP , it's under $30. I have one inside a bluebird house streaming to Blue Iris and to TinyCam Pro on our Sony (Android) 65" TV.
The only caveat is many of these type are xmEye (Xiongmai) based but if you block it's access to the Internet it should be no biggie. The downside (for you, at least) is that it's not Wi-Fi, although I have seen quite a few TOP-201's that are. You just have to search eBay, Aliexpress, etc. as they come and go...they're become scarce lately. If you can only find the Ethernet version you could use a TP-LINK nano router and run it in the client mode. A TP-LINK TL-WR802N is pictured next to the camera.
TOP201.pngTP-LINK_TL-WR802N_2.jpg
Here's a video below shot 4 days ago of the male bringing the female a grub to feed the babies., Blue Iris recorded this stream. She's a tad out of focus as she's closer to the cam. I've got the lens unscrewed as much as possible to allow the closest focus. Before they built the nest it was perfect but they built the nest VERY tall and closer to the cam which is mounted in the ceiling (underside of roof). It's the non-IR model and there's a separate IR emitter with it's own daylight sensor. I've got to post all this about the bluebird cam on another thread but have been VERY pressed lately.

Below is a snapshot on 4/1 of the eggs.

Cam41.20200401_125530996.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Correct. I actually ordered a rear-view camera (12v composite video output). It's still in the box, so I may send it back to Amazon. I'll have a higher quality image, and the ability for any device to see the feed, less wiring, and the ability to record... So I think going IP, if it works, is a far better route.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BTW, my kids (7 & 5) enjoyed your video of the blue bird. They asked a bunch of questions, so it was time to ask the Oracle (google) about more info. Specifically, kids asked what the differences were between a Blue Jay (which we have tons of) and the blue birds... Interestingly, one of the behavior differences is that with Jays, the males help build the nest and rear the babies - where blue birds, only the female does. Yet, your video proves in every species, the male can get whipped into shape ;)

Raivo

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it'll be inside where it's water tight. As I was writing the initial post, I started thinking about using one of my many spare/left-over Hikvision cube cameras. They're POE, but have 12V input as well. It's a bit larger than I'd like, but it'll be a good proof-of-concept. If it works as planned, I'd like to get the same functionality in a smaller form factor.
Ironically enough, around a year or so ago I used a pretty similar set-up for my trailer. I used a 4MP Cube Hikvision. Unfortunately, after a few months the stand on which the camera is position got so 'wobbly' that I could not longer properly position it, as with slightest vibration it would just point downwards. So I've now replaced it with a battery-powered camera (some random brand on Amazon). Quality is much worse that the Hik but it does work!

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, I figured I'd post a follow up to this project. I ended up using one of my spare Hik cube cameras, paired to a tiny travel router, to feed my android head unit. It works absolutely perfectly. Crystal-clear real-time imaged displayed on IP Cam Viewer app. From the moment I start the truck to when I have a live view is about 2 minutes. Not speedy, but certainly acceptable - especially since I'll be using it for long road trips to keep an eye on the dogs.

That said, here are a couple pics. The bed of the truck is a bit messy, but I wanted to get the pics while I was thinking about it...

2020-05-08_22-53-07.jpg2020-05-08_22-52-07.jpg

When I got the topper (ARE Z series) I added a set of LED lights and a switch cluster with a 12V and USB power ports. That ties to the truck via a 6-wire, weatherproof harness so I can disconnect all of the electronics with one plug if/when I need to remove the topper. The switch cluster has accessory and constant 12v, which I will ultimately use (through a 12V regulator) to power the camera. The photo shows it just plugged into a 12V wall wart for now.

For anyone interested, I have this Android head unit (which I absolutely LOVE), and this is the travel router I'm using.

I recently switched my cell provider to Visible - Verizon-owned prepaid service. They offer unlimited everything, including uncapped hotspot (though it is limited to 5mbps) for $40/mo all taxes and fees included. With 3 other people grouped into a "party pay" - where each person still pays their own way on their own account - the price drops to $25/mo! The only caveat is that the hotspot only allows one device to connect at a time. Thus, the reason for the travel router. It connects to the phone, and then serves internet to anyone in the vehicle (my 5 and 7yo kids LOVE having their tablets online). Likewise, my head unit can stream live content (Pandora, YouTube Vanced, fox news channel, etc) without a hiccup. I drove from FL to TN two weeks ago, sucking down nearly 20GB in <10 hours without a single glitch). With the router in place, having the camera in the truck be wifi and IP-based was the next logical step.

Sorry to sound like a commercial for Visible - I get nothing for mentioning it. I'm just excited to finally have an affordable plan that doesn't have me looking over my shoulder when I use it like I want/need to.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A note on visible, I am testing it now as well. There is no roaming on non-verizon towers. There is also no 3g. Verizon claims its getting rid of 3g by end of year 2020 but they said that last year as well. While visible generally works well, when towers are congested you are throttled and it slows to a crawl, often unusable. This of course depends on your location. At least once or twice a week phone calls are garbled. All that said, for the price its a good deal.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
A note on visible, I am testing it now as well. There is no roaming on non-verizon towers. There is also no 3g. Verizon claims its getting rid of 3g by end of year 2020 but they said that last year as well. While visible generally works well, when towers are congested you are throttled and it slows to a crawl, often unusable. This of course depends on your location. At least once or twice a week phone calls are garbled. All that said, for the price its a good deal.
You bring up a very good point about the 4G-only coverage. I didn't realize that until after I'd made the switch. I panicked a bit since my home area is very hilly (I live on the Cumberland Plateau) and there are many areas where my post-paid Verizon would switch to 3G, 2G, 1x etc... before ultimately going to no service. I figured with 4G only, I'd be in worse shape.

Surprisingly, having a phone/sim that is looking ONLY for 4G actually vastly improved my coverage (I'm still using the same Moto Z4 phone from post paid to Visible). Before, my phone would start hunting between 4G and the other lesser services as soon as the 4G was less than ideal. As a result, I was dropping data and having tons of "no data" errors in those fringe areas. The phone was so busy jumping between 4G and 3G that I couldn't use it. Now, I'm able to stay on 4G right through those fringe areas.

As for congestion, absolutely to be expected to take a much lower priority over post-paid accounts. That said, we live in a very rural area, and I am regularly hitting 120mbps down and about 50 up. Might not fit for everyone, but you certainly can't beat the price. I feel like I'm stealing it at $25/mo.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You bring up a very good point about the 4G-only coverage. I didn't realize that until after I'd made the switch. I panicked a bit since my home area is very hilly (I live on the Cumberland Plateau) and there are many areas where my post-paid Verizon would switch to 3G, 2G, 1x etc... before ultimately going to no service. I figured with 4G only, I'd be in worse shape.

Surprisingly, having a phone/sim that is looking ONLY for 4G actually vastly improved my coverage (I'm still using the same Moto Z4 phone from post paid to Visible). Before, my phone would start hunting between 4G and the other lesser services as soon as the 4G was less than ideal. As a result, I was dropping data and having tons of "no data" errors in those fringe areas. The phone was so busy jumping between 4G and 3G that I couldn't use it. Now, I'm able to stay on 4G right through those fringe areas.

As for congestion, absolutely to be expected to take a much lower priority over post-paid accounts. That said, we live in a very rural area, and I am regularly hitting 120mbps down and about 50 up. Might not fit for everyone, but you certainly can't beat the price. I feel like I'm stealing it at $25/mo.
Those are speeds I could never even reach on my old verizon plan. The no roaming can be an issue for some if they travel to areas where verizon does not have coverage. I agree, at 25 bux its difficult to complain. One more thing folks should know is that there is no phone support. Everything is done via chat.

Last edited: