Why use blue iris over amcrest?

Larry W

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all, new member here. Yesterday I finished setting up my single camera setup. Currently it is not in its final configuration (camera not in final spot) but wanted to make sure everything is up and running correctly. I'm using Amcrest IP4M-1024E, TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE Desktop Switch running into my home network and direct into a computer running windows 10 running blue iris demo version (10 days left)
My question is, now that everything is up and running, is blue iris better to run than the amcrest online viewer?
I'm looking to record vehicles coming up my driveway as well as some unruly neighbors, but I have not set up any of the recording options yet due to myself being new to this.

Thanks

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never fooled with Amcrest cameras or their web control app, but I can say that BI has so much more flexibility than any of the "packaged" stuff it blows them all away. I guess it comes down to what you are really looking for. Keep in mind that BI will handle just about any camera out there rather than getting stuck in the Amcrest, or any other, "box".

Larry W

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I was recommended blue iris but someone helpful on reddit. I do like the layout though there seems to be A LOT of info and settings. I'm still at the very beginning stages of understanding all of this. A question that I have regarding blue iris software. If I want to view my camera from down here (on my laptop downstairs) I have to use NACL web plugin, when I log in it has the amcrest logo. Can you download blue iris to multiple computers or am I over thinking this?
Thanks

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The BI license is for one machine only, like most other software, but does have a built-in web server that can be accessed from anywhere. That said, one of the members here has written a new remote viewer that is far better than the standard BI interface and will, supposedly, be integrated into a future release of BI. Blue Iris UI3 beta test is now open! Additionally, there are also apps available for both Android and IOS.

Larry W

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again for the reply. Is the webviewer only something that can be accessed with the full paid version?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
That I can't answer. I've had the "legit" version for so long I don't remember. Maybe a real BI expert will be able to answer that for you. I'm just a duffer.

Larry W

n3wb
Reaction score
Im definitely looking to purchase it, just wanted to set everything up first and see how I feel about it.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thought on why use BI. I started with one camera to monitor a specific thing. Now I have five, would have been six if I hadn't fried one by accident fooling around, and plan on at least another four or even six. Will Amcrest be appropriate if, more like when, you expand your system? This stuff is like crack or coke, addicting as hell!

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the webserver part works with the trial.
The direct to disk is said not to work even though you can select it.
There is an overlay on all cams when viewing them.
I just tried it and ended up buying a couple weeks ago.
Pretty happy with it. I'm on here asking a lot of questions because there is so much to configure.

Larry W

n3wb
Reaction score
Another thought on why use BI. I started with one camera to monitor a specific thing. Now I have five, would have been six if I hadn't fried one by accident fooling around, and plan on at least another four or even six. Will Amcrest be appropriate if, more like when, you expand your system? This stuff is like crack or coke, addicting as hell!
lol I can imagine
Pretty happy with it. I'm on here asking a lot of questions because there is so much to configure.
same here, sooooo many options!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in to answer @Larry W 's question re: what the demo can and cannot do. I myself could not answer about the UI webserver pages in the demo version.

Larry W

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll have to log on today at some point and see if I can get the web access up. Kind of annoying having to load the NACL web plugin at the moment

Larry W

n3wb
Reaction score
was there any good videos or etc that you watched to set it up? I'm having a lot of issues getting the webserver part up and going.