Why doesn't Blue Iris better support 2-way audio?

Voultar

n3wb
Reaction score
This isn't a complete dig at Blue Iris, but more of a genuine question?

So far, I'm unable to get 2-way audio working with any of my cameras, while their native apps work perfectly fine.

The Amcrest AD410 doorbell doesn't work.
The Foscam 2K floodlight doesn't work.
None of the 3MP/5MP Chinese PTZ cameras work.

I'm trying to understand the disconnect between Blue Iris and transmitting audio TO the camera. There's no official documentation that I can find for this and all of the forum posts that I can find are left unanswered or unresolved..

All of these cameras mentioned can be heard within Blue Iris and I have no problem listening to their audio feeds, but microphone capability is a no-go, despite my settings and configurations.

Is it that while audio is rolled into the standard, microphones aren't and therefore it's difficult to pinpoint how a camera utilizes the microphone?

Last edited:

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not a programmer but I bet it has to do with most cheap camera not support RTSP backchannel for two way audio.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your method to speak via mic to the camera:
1) Using your smartphone's mouthpiece (mic) when on the BI app or​
2) using a mic plugged into the BI server?​

Voultar

n3wb
Reaction score
What is your method to speak via mic to the camera:
1) Using your smartphone's mouthpiece (mic) when on the BI app or​
2) using a mic plugged into the BI server?​
Both. I've tried both using a microphone on the server as well as the IOS/Android App (which will be what's used primarily) and I just can't get the microphone to work, period.

Audio from the camera's sounds great, though. BI does a good job with that part, at least.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Amcrest IP2M-841's do 2 way audio great with the BI app on iPhone, which BTW, there was never a QR code scanned, and P2P and uPnP in the cams is disabled.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two way works on my 5 cameras that support two-way in BI on the console and BI app.

Reaction score
Just popping in to say I've gone through three cameras now where the outgoing audio does not work through Blue Iris, and it's getting kind of depressing.

Working on a Hosafe PTZ right now, and the two-way audio works fine through the app.

Surely this is simply a matter of pointing to the right data stream and doing the right handshake. Does Ken at BI need programmers? This should be a two week fix.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just popping in to say I've gone through three cameras now where the outgoing audio does not work through Blue Iris, and it's getting kind of depressing.

Working on a Hosafe PTZ right now, and the two-way audio works fine through the app.

Surely this is simply a matter of pointing to the right data stream and doing the right handshake. Does Ken at BI need programmers? This should be a two week fix.
What have you done to contact him? Won't magically happen. Do you need help with email?
Works with popular brands you need to select the can from the drop-down not find inspect.

Reaction score
What have you done to contact him? Won't magically happen. Do you need help with email?
Works with popular brands you need to select the can from the drop-down not find inspect.
HOSAFE is in the dropdown list, but not the model I have.

You mean in the 11 months that this issue has been happening to people, nobody has bothered messaging him about it?

Okay, I'll message him. We'll see what he says. I'll tell him you suggested I do it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
HOSAFE is in the dropdown list, but not the model I have.

You mean in the 11 months that this issue has been happening to people, nobody has bothered messaging him about it?

Okay, I'll message him. We'll see what he says. I'll tell him you suggested I do it.
People? What people? Amazingly lazy. You didn't bother either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
People? What people? Amazingly lazy. You did bother either.
Excuse me for not realizing I'm the first person to experience this issue, because I've seen it on several forums dating back at least a year.

So if you're going to call me lazy, you're calling all of them lazy, too, including the OP.

Reaction score
Who cares how many times it's been posted. Be a big boy and ask for support before bitching.
I use a little thing called logic, where if I see a problem has been experienced many times by many people, I assume the developer knows about the problem. How about you and that mouth of yours get potty-trained already, eh?

sodade21

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 misecu 5MP and while i can see,listen and record and use PTZ perfectly with BI I can't make use of 2 way talk back either.. I can use 2waytalk though from iCee app that is the official app that supports it.
I have tried everything i could so far...reading forums etc.. WIth most of the profiles i hear my voice through my speakers producing feedback.. with few profiles like dahua its seems i am a step farther.. don;t getting feedback through speakers but still no luck to get any sound from the camera. while i tried everything i could think of... im in the proccess of trying every single profile at Blue Iris... so far I am at the Letter "G" It seems many profiles can use ptz but still not 2way talk.. it seems that it might be more niche and not that generic fix... anyone knows any known clones of misecu cams that support Blue iris and 2way talk so i can shortcut my testings? or got any more tips i could try? anyways ill keep testing the rest of the profiles and ill post again if i find anything...(Btw im trying all these in the pc windows version of Blue iris and thats what i care for)

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of my two-way are Dahua cams, but this is the only setting that allows it work:

1652377507481.png

Where main is:

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif

sodade21

n3wb
Reaction score
i will try those as well.. thanks! btw does the Sub (stream) play any role for 2waytalk functionality?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i will try those as well.. thanks! btw does the Sub (stream) play any role for 2waytalk functionality?
None - the audio comes from the mainstream. The sub is used for the video portions to keep CPU down.

sodade21

n3wb
Reaction score
None - the audio comes from the mainstream. The sub is used for the video portions to keep CPU down.
All of my two-way are Dahua cams, but this is the only setting that allows it work:

View attachment 127868

Where main is:

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif
I tried this and also tried to mess a bit with some more ports but sadly doesn't work with the misecu.... video works/sound works but not 2way.... thanks for the answer and potential help :)

maximosm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried this and also tried to mess a bit with some more ports but sadly doesn't work with the misecu.... video works/sound works but not 2way.... thanks for the answer and potential help :)
For me worked for some time only with some foscam cameras.With hikvision and dahuas i had no luck to make it work.