Why Does Frame Rate Vary?

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As the title says, why does the Frame Rate vary in Blue Iris?

I have my cams set at 25fps and have the option for 'Adjust Automatically' selected, but what actually determines the change? When I open the Blue Iris Status window, the frames are always sitting around either set 25fps or 10fps. Is it determined by load on the CPU, or load on the network, or something else all together?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 is right. If your cameras are hardwired then you shouldn't notice a difference, if your cameras are wireless then you may experience FPS jumping around.

Last edited:

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is determined by the frame rate the camera is sending. Blue Iris does not control what frame rate the camera sends.
@bp2008 is right. If your cameras are hardwired then you shouldn't notice a difference, if your cameras are wireless then you may experience FPS jumping around.
Thanks guys. What makes my still question it further is that, all my cams are hardwired on Cat6 and switching/routing is all gigabit. So there is ample bandwidth. All the cams have 24fps (PAL) set in their respective cam settings. The other point is that they all seem to change Bitrate/frame rate together. So it's not as if one cam will switch from 25fps down to 10fps while the others continue at 25fps. They all go together.

Does that seem like there might be some other underlying reason for it?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Something might be scheduled either in the cameras' interfaces, or in Blue Iris, or even in some software from the manufacturer that you may have installed or forgotten about. Other than that I can't think why they would all switch to 10fps at the same time. Perhaps it happens at the transition into night mode?