Why are my gigabit NIC's only doing 100mb?

Jared1236

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a desktop running Win10 Pro 64-bit with dual NIC's. The onboard is connected to an offline subnet used for routing security cameras. The gigabit PCIe NIC (TP-Link TG-3468) is connected to my main network. I should be getting a download bitrate on the offline NIC from about 160mb to 180mb yet the highest I've seen in Task Manager is 99.1mb. In Network and Sharing Center I can see it's auto-negotiating 1.0gb and the same thing shows on the router interface. I've tried forcing speed & duplex settings for gigabit on both ends, updating drivers, changing cables, raising/lowering camera bitrate and swapping the connections between NIC's but have seen no change. This is causing all sorts of issues for camera recording of course. I have an identical setup to this at a different location that has no problems going over even 200mb.

Specs:
Gigabyte H610m S2H
i5 12600
16gb RAM
TP-Link TG-3468

Router:
TP-Link ER605

Any thoughts on this issue are appreciated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple of gig NICs in my Blue Iris machine. The speed you see will never be a gig unless and until you push that much data through one of those NIC. I have 22 cameras running through on, gig, NIC and at best it run around 200Mb/PS. That's the total data load, not the speed of the NIC or the infrastructure supporting it, that you're seeing.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Echoing what @sebastiantombs has said and adding this analogy:

My speedometer is rated for 140 MPH, yet I seldom experience even half the listed rating. Many factors influence the speed one travels in their 'land ship': Quality of fuel, engine health, road make-up, surface condition, traffic congestion, etc. The same can be said for network speed ratings. Many factors influence the speed of communication: computer/OS health, cabling make-up, transmission conditions, network traffic congestion, etc

In either case, you can experience speeds up to the respective rating, however it will most likely not be anything that occurs for extended periods of time.

Jared1236

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of gig NICs in my Blue Iris machine. The speed you see will never be a gig unless and until you push that much data through one of those NIC. I have 22 cameras running through on, gig, NIC and at best it run around 200Mb/PS. That's the total data load, not the speed of the NIC or the infrastructure supporting it, that you're seeing.
Right. To be clear I am talking megabits so my targeted throughput is totally possible and like I said has even been accomplished with identical hardware at a different site. It doesn't make sense that the NIC;s could even be negotiated to 1 gigabit but only put through a max of 100megabit. Even disabling a couple cameras doesn't reduce the throughput on the computer.

Jared1236

n3wb
Reaction score
Echoing what @sebastiantombs has said and adding this analogy:

My speedometer is rated for 140 MPH, yet I seldom experience even half the listed rating. Many factors influence the speed one travels in their 'land ship': Quality of fuel, engine health, road make-up, surface condition, traffic congestion, etc. The same can be said for network speed ratings. Many factors influence the speed of communication: computer/OS health, cabling make-up, transmission conditions, network traffic congestion, etc

In either case, you can experience speeds up to the respective rating, however it will most likely not be anything that occurs for extended periods of time.
Sure but I'm targetting less than 200 megabit and have accomplished this before. This is all new equipment with gigabit infrastructure.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In Network and Sharing Center I can see it's auto-negotiating 1.0gb and the same thing shows on the router interface.
I've been burned by checking those; Can't speak for your router, but I know that WIN10 doesn't accurately report what is going on.

Instead, look at the LED port lights on your switch or router. Assuming each port has different colors for 100/1000 connections, confirm that the 1000Mbps LED is on.

Real world case: I recently troubleshot a network that was constrained to 100mbps. Windows falsely reported it was 1.0Gpbs. I found a CAT6 with badly crimped RJ45 (one wire open) and another CAT6 that had a tight bend radius at the patch panel. Took care of those, power cycled everthing, and 1000Mbps has been working ever since.

- Thomas

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Once again, you are looking at the actual data throughput and not the theoretical maximum data throughput. You'd need to generate a gig of data in a constant stream to see that in Resource Monitor or Task Manager.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have Gigabit everything, but the total camera data stream at this snapshot is running about 49-50.7 Megabits per second. Because why? Because each cam is only pushing out about 4Mbps. x 10 cams = 40Mbps....the rest is probably chrome browser....
1667269441486.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
what is the model of the motherfucking POE switch..........that motherfucker might have janky specs...i don't see it listed in your Original post

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought a Yuanley turd for adding POE to the garage,,,,,,motherfuckers misrepresent....says 4 10/100 ports with a Gigabit uplink...Bitch chokes on 10 cams coming from my 2 Amcrest Xvr'sNvr's...brought network to a crawl...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes but its on a gigabit network....why is it so fucking slow....:oops:
I think that the OP is stating that he is expecting 160-180 based on identical setup in a different place, but he is only seeing 99.

If everything is exactly the same, then it obviously is not EXACTLY the same. Something is different.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think that the OP is stating that he is expecting 160-180 based on identical setup in a different place, but he is only seeing 99.

If everything is exactly the same, then it obviously is not EXACTLY the same. Something is different.
There are one thing I would look at first: One being what stream is connected to the NVR.

Most cameras will downgrade their stream for the connection if they have internal or external issues. I have 3 Amcrest cameras that do this because of temperature, but I haven't decided if I should let them burn up or take it down and redo the heatsink tab inside the camera.
normally they are 2,700 Kb/s on main stream and they drop to 345Kb/s when they are overheated by the sun.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes but its on a gigabit network....why is it so fucking slow....:oops:
Because there is only so many cameras connected.
If the OP really needs to benchmark to see what a network run's maximum bandwidth, they would just set up and run iperf on two computers and test the network run. But I don't think its the cable because one of the post mentioned replacing cable. But that wouldn't discount improper install if the same mistake was done twice.