Which cam for pointing through window (day/night) to use with BI?

ewa8949

n3wb
Reaction score
I am overwhelmed reading all the different options and am looking for a one cam setup now just to monitor my garden from inside my house looking out through a window. I am not ready to invest hundreds in a full system so just want to start with the best cam to use indoor but through a window. I can connect this through ethernet so wifi is not 100% necessary. I don't have any POE switches but am open to this tech as I probably would use this in the future. I'd like to be able to clearly identify anyone at night and have the cam sit on my window ledge inside.

If this works out I will upgrade to more cams and actually mount them outside but for the next year want to just get my feet wet. I saw lots of recommendations for Dahua starlight but which model is best? I don't necessarily need a cam that rotates but would buy one if just a bit more.

What do people recommend for indoor looking through a window? Thanks!

Edit: On a side note can BI be upgraded from single cam to multi cam later on so I can just pay $30 now? I was going to ping the company but if someone just knows please comment.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If thru window then use external IR projector outdoor, and turn off internal IR Leds of the camera or you will see nothing at night because of IR reflection, you may also use IR projector indoor but not close to camera.

ewa8949

n3wb
Reaction score
If thru window then use external IR projector outdoor, and turn off internal IR Leds of the camera or you will see nothing at night because of IR reflection, you may also use IR projector indoor but not close to camera.
Hrmm this means I Need something outside anyways. I may just mount the camera right outside my window and run the cord inside if I have to do that. Thanks for the tip.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the garden lit? If not then you'll need to add light from something. How far from the house? You just trying to figure out what's eating your crop, IDing neighbourhood cats for poop return, or??

Dingus

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure on the BI upgrade.

I am currently using this camera through a window until I mount it outside.
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

In daylight it is great, when the sun hits the window I do get some glare back from the blinds in the window. At night it's also great, but I have a small street light helping since I don't use IR. You will have to figure out a mounting solution (I'm using a plank of wood temporarily) and you'll want the lens as close as possible to the window to reduce reflections and glare. I have these setup using POE injectors, which are more affordable and flexible than a POE switch.