Whats is your "go to" weatherproof enclosure?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are lots of options out there for sure. Just curious what peoples prefered weather proof enclosure is for housing switches and such.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on what the need is. If its just wiring going into a box then a simple grey PVC junction box is fine. If you are talking about housing electronics, then there are plenty of NEMA rated boxes to choose from:
I have one of those L-Com powered enclosures that housees a switch and some other electronics. Its mounted outside on the back of a billboard. Been up there for over 5 years now with no issues to any of the equipment.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I updated my post to include "for housing switches and such" to be a little more clear.

Those L-com enclosures are nice but damn pricey. I think I am getting spoiled from my over use of amazon purchases :D

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been eyeing this company for a while. They seem a little more fair priced than a lot of the competitors but I have yet to purchase anything so I can't say how well they are made.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I updated my post to include "for housing switches and such" to be a little more clear.

Those L-com enclosures are nice but damn pricey. I think I am getting spoiled from my over use of amazon purchases :D
Amazon is convenient for certain items but I find myself going out of the way to NOT buy from there. Most of what is listed there is Chinese knock-off junk.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to mount this to a round light post?
At the top & bottom of the enclosure there appears to be screw holes to secure to something. This assumes the back of the enclosure is flat.

Worst case you could cut four slits / holes to use those metal ring clamps.

Comes down to effort vs reward.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Couple of properly sized hose clamps will work. Or Tv antenna clamp, depending on the size of the pole.
Antenna clamps
That link offered some great alternate clamping solutions I haven't considered before - thanks! To the OP one thing I can say is sit down pen to paper and really think what the long term plans are. Makes no sense buying a small enclosure and later find out you ran out of space or its too shallow etc.

Obviously, one has to balance costs vs wants vs needs . . .

Regardless, once you have the proper size almost anything can be added / modified to suite your needs. Many of the more expansive boxes incorporate all manner of I/O's such as 120 VAC outlets, fans, exit ports. All of these can be added with some sweat equity if you're handy.

Having said this some key things in mind enclosures which incorporate those grid points are not just a nice to have but a must have. As they allow you to mount anything with a simple screw to affix the same. An enclosure that just has flat backing and just a four point mount restricts your ability to Plug & Play.

Even in those cases its not the end of the world as anyone can just add in a piece of wood / plastic / DIN rails etc.

As noted up above any enclosure can add in extra waterproof glands / bushings from aliexpress / amazon. One thing to be cautious about is (IF) you believe you need to vent the enclosure. It's highly recommended to purchase one that is vented properly vs just drilling a massive hole and sticking in a fan.

Almost every DIY enclosure I've seen where people have done the same ignored basic safety and it made the whole thing a ticking time bomb. Never mind all it did was shorten the lifespan of the hardware inside.

Some key take away is anything that's intended to be installed outside be properly outdoor rated. That covers temperature, humidity, and UV rating. You buy just any random box and stick it outside it will be fine for the first year but after the next the extreme cold and heat and especially UV will eat a none UV rated box into toilet paper.

If the enclosure can be placed in the shade it will extend the service life of the enclosure and the components. Again if none of the equipment is outdoor rated (hardened) than special care must be taken to insure a long service life. Moisture is one of the biggest killers besides heat as it relates to electronics.

Go on aliexpress / amazon and buy a few large silica desiccant packs and stick it in there once the install has been finalized this will keep the RH more stable. When a sealed enclosure is used and you're still worried about heat adding a few cheap aluminum / copper heat sinks is cheap and effective to dissipate heat.

If required in a sealed enclosure adding in a small PWM fan that is thermostatically controlled also helps extend the life of the hardware.

Love to see how it all ends up once you're done . . .

Good Luck . . .

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.