What to expect 2mp vs 4 mp

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I have the 5442t (4mp 1/1.8”) and a ipc-T3241T-ZAS (2mp 1/2.8”).
Both overlook the driveway and I would like to use one more of the overview and the other slightly zoomed down the driveway as people walk up. I understand the 2mp requires less light comparably zoomed In at the same focal length it would be brighter allowing a faster shutter speed. However, is a 2mp going to get me a clean image. As I’m typing this I feel like I answered my own question but can’t hurt to get an experts opinion.

What would anyone else suggest? I’m getting a third cam so I can move one of these to our front door area if that would be better suited and replace it with something else. We have no street lights and only two little walkway lights on until 11pm. We live in the country with pretty much no light pollution as well.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have some 5231s (same sensor as the 3241) and 5442s. This is one of the rare cases where you get your cake and eat it too with the 5442. It not only has the higher pixel image, but much better low light sensitivity. As the day ends I get a decent color image with the 5442s after the 5231s have long switched to black and white. I posted some comparison pictures almost 2 years ago here:
Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where it becomes noticeable at night is when the 2MP and the 4MP are on the same size sensor. At that point, yes the 2MP will be a better choice in most applications.

As @tigerwillow1 says, because the 5442 is an ideal MP/sensor ratio, that would be the better bet. Or even better is the new 4k camera on a 1/1.2" sensor, but it doesn't see IR so it would use the LED on the camera.

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where it becomes noticeable at night is when the 2MP and the 4MP are on the same size sensor. At that point, yes the 2MP will be a better choice in most applications.

As @tigerwillow1 says, because the 5442 is an ideal MP/sensor ratio, that would be the better bet. Or even better is the new 4k camera on a 1/1.2" sensor, but it doesn't see IR so it would use the LED on the camera.
would you suggest I just move the 2mp by our front door and get a different camera for the driveway? I like the 4K a lot and was reading all the posts. Howbright Are theLEDs? I know I sounds funny butflood light brightness is too bright as it pointsright into the neighbors bedroom window lol.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
If it was me I would use the 2MP for the overview and the 4MP for the detail shot. When I went from 2MP to 4MP it was a big jump. I was watching the gardeners moving around in my yard when I still had both style of cameras up and it was very clear that the 4MP was the winner. A lot more detail was showing up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The LED on the 4k is very faint. My nightlights are brighter LOL. But it is enough for this camera to produce an incredible picture at night. The camera images are way brighter than it actually appears standing outside looking at it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have both the 3241T-ZAS and 5442T-ZE. While the 3241 is a very respectable 2MP camera the 5442 provide much more detail and has superior night vision.