What does fire look like with IR cut filter?

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It looks like this. I have a few very tall royal palms that loom over the 7KV power lines out front. Sometimes when a storm blows by the leaves hit the 7KV line. I have had people come up to the front door screaming that the tree is on fire and some people will call the fire department. The fire dept will come out after the fact, look around, scratch their head, then head off. I do not use Smart IR, because I have 3 cams in this area that criss cross and smart IR will result in washout in other cams. You don't want to be on sidewalk when this happens. Use 1080p when viewing.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd show this video to your local utility company. They or a tree trimmer (Davey, Asplundh, etc.) certified to work for them around primaries will trim it at no cost to the homeowner.

The fire dept. should not be within 10 feet of those lines.

BTW, dry, non-dusty or not dirty wood is pretty high impedance but moisture-laden trees such as pines and poplars and practically any dusty or GREEN leaf or vegetation will conduct enough to do what your camera witnessed.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Duke Energy sends out a contractor periodically to trim leaves and tree limbs that are growing into the power lines. Once the leaves/branches are well above the power lines, they do not touch them. Trying to get Duke to do anything is another issue. Its a jungle out there.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, I requested tree trimming from Dukes website and included the video. I will tell them about the large bee hive up there when they arrive, if they do. This event may seem very unusual to most people, but it is the usual around here. Now Duke can be the responsible party since I reported it. Good call Tony.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Duke energy replied to request in email the next day. This morning I got a recorded call that a contractor will be out within next 10 days to look at situation. This afternoon, I saw the contractor out front looking at the lines, and stated that a periodic arc and spark from palm leaves do not warrant a special crew to come out & trim. It has to be a constant contact w/ lines to be special event. The only thing she said that they can schedule to cut power for tree trimmer. Lets see, scheduling a tree trimmer to show up at a special time is like waiting for your local roofer to show up. She did give me a contact of a trimmer that is live line certified.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Duke energy replied to request in email the next day. This morning I got a recorded call that a contractor will be out within next 10 days to look at situation. This afternoon, I saw the contractor out front looking at the lines, and stated that a periodic arc and spark from palm leaves do not warrant a special crew to come out & trim. It has to be a constant contact w/ lines to be special event. The only thing she said that they can schedule to cut power for tree trimmer. Lets see, scheduling a tree trimmer to show up at a special time is like waiting for your local roofer to show up. She did give me a contact of a trimmer that is live line certified.
I would not call anyone to trim anything unless A) it's your tree on your property and B) you get confirmation IN WRITING from Duke Energy that what she said was gospel.

If no response within 2 weeks I'd call/e-mail my state Public Utilities Commission and tell them what I was told and by whom and what attempts you have made to get it resolved.

Here's my point: even a certified contractor is not empowered to decide what gets trimmed and when....it's the utility company that decides and they TELL the contractor what to do and where to do it. That contractor works for them and really has no business talking to you regarding Duke's policies...IMHO.

In my over 31 years in public works and working with 2 electrical utility districts in 2 states NEVER have I heard of a power company stating, in so many words "...yeah, it touches at times and sparks and I see the video of the glowing embers hitting the ground but ya know what? We're just gonna wait 'til it touches ALL the time, starts a fire and perhaps a house or 2 burns down, maybe a couple people burn up because ya know what else? This line clearance work is expensive...."

Don't we all know that PG&E wishes they had lowered the shareholders' dividends and put some money into pole replacement and line clearance/vegetation management?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A lot of the problem, from what I've seen, with PG&E is that they have been restricted/stopped from removing vegetation in the the name of the environment. The fires out there are as bad as they are for the same reason.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I will move on to plan B, "Do Nothing". I raise bees and some of my bees are up there in a hive inside the trunk, due to a woodpecker. I don't want to see them killed. Remember trimming palm leaves is just a short term fix. Besides, it keeps the riffraff off the sidewalk.

I would not call anyone to trim anything unless A) it's your tree on your property and B) you get confirmation IN WRITING from Duke Energy that what she said was gospel.

If no response within 2 weeks I'd call/e-mail my state Public Utilities Commission and tell them what I was told and by whom and what attempts you have made to get it resolved.

Here's my point: even a certified contractor is not empowered to decide what gets trimmed and when....it's the utility company that decides and they TELL the contractor what to do and where to do it. That contractor works for them and really has no business talking to you regarding Duke's policies...IMHO.

In my over 31 years in public works and working with 2 electrical utility districts in 2 states NEVER have I heard of a power company stating, in so many words "...yeah, it touches at times and sparks and I see the video of the glowing embers hitting the ground but ya know what? We're just gonna wait 'til it touches ALL the time, starts a fire and perhaps a house or 2 burns down, maybe a couple people burn up because ya know what else? This line clearance work is expensive...."

Don't we all know that PG&E wishes they had lowered the shareholders' dividends and put some money into pole replacement and line clearance/vegetation management?

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Scary, but pretty neat video. Looks like the burning bits extinguish fairly quickly?