What do you think about DH-IPC-HFW2439S-SA-LED-S2

boulete

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for cameras replacement at home.
I use 2 olds 1080p chinese ip cam.

I'm considering the Dahua DH-IPC-HFW2439S-SA-LED-S2 because it's small, cheap and "full color" .

I need one for my front yard (street view) with light in the night and another one for my back yard with little bit (almost nothing) artificial light during the night.

I don(t know if the DH-IPC-HFW2439S-SA-LED-S2 is ok for the back yard. Maybe another one with ir cut like the IPC-HFW2831S-S-S2 ?
Differences are 8mp vs 4mp and "full color" vs "starlight" .

With my old ip cams, I experienced a lot of artefacts in the night wiht infrared (rain, mosquittos ) .
Any advices for me ?

Thank you

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
:welcome:

You need to make sure your expectations and budget match. You say "cheap" and "full color". Full color is a generic marketing term which means nothing. Well, it means that it will remain in full color longer than some other camera that they made 10 years ago is about all. Same for "Starlight" or any other similar term.

Do NOT chase megapixels!! Do NOT!! You will regret it. Think of it this way, each tiny little pixel has a certain amount of light fall on it. The more pixels, the smaller each one is. Go from 4 MP to 8 MP, and the amount of light on each one is reduced by half. So for the cameras to have about the same view, you need twice the light!

My experience with cameras with LEDs is not good, I recommend you get IR lights, not rely on little LEDs in each one. IR lights can remain in full color at night if there is enough light.

You need to spend some time on here and read through some of the posts from some of the folks who provide detailed welcome messages about camera recommendations, etc. Also read the Wiki, linked at the top of the page. Great information in there.

The cameras you linked to have a 1/3", 0.33" diameter sensor, the second one has a 1/2.7", or about 0.37" diameter sensor. Pretty small. For 2 MP, you should have 1/2.8" or larger, for 4 MP you should have 1/1.8" or larger. Yes, the sensor sizes are listed as fractions just to confuse you!

I'm sure some a couple of the guys will be along shortly with their well prepared welcome note with much more detailed information.

boulete

n3wb
Reaction score
First of all, thank you for your answer.

When i say "cheap" i mean 150 euros max budget for each cam .

When i say "full color" i mean (and i hope) a technology without infrared artefacts (rain, mosquittos) I don't care if the picture is in color or black and white.

I will search one with a good sensor ratio (tahnk you for the tips ) and I'll be back here with the specs .

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

What he said ^^^^

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

720P - 1/3" = .333"
2MP - 1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet)
4MP - 1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball)
8MP - 1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round)

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance. Any camera can be made to "see" color at night if the exposure time is long enough, as in half a second or longer. Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Avoid Reolink, Foscam, SV3C, Nest, and all the other consumer grade cameras. They all struggle mightily at night and never get anything useful on video. Here's a link to a whole thread debunking Reolink in particular.

Compiled by mat200 -

Avoid WiFi cameras, even doorbell cameras. WiFi is not designed for the constant, 24/7, load of video that a surveillance camera produces. At best, with two cameras on WiFi, they will still experience dropouts multiple times daily. Murphy's Law says that will happen at the worst possible moment.

Lens size, focal length, is another critical factor. Many people like the wide, sweeping, views of a 2.8mm lens but be aware that identification is problematic with a lens that wide. Keep in mind that it may take two cameras, or more, to provide the coverage you need or desire. Another factor that effects view angles is the sensor size. Typically larger sensors will have a larger field of view in any given lens size.

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar spcs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As others have said, do not chase marketing terms like Full Color. The DH-IPC-HFW2439S-SA-LED-S2 is a 4MP camera on a smaller sensor than a 2MP camera. A 2MP camera will beat it all night long.

In most instances, you want to get a camera that will perform at your location for the worse situation, which for most of us is at night when it is dark and there is little to no light. If a camera performs at night, it is easier to tweak settings to make it work during the day than it is the other way around.

My 2MP cameras outperform my neighbors 4K (8MP) cameras....why because they are both on the same size sensor.

When we had a thief come thru here and get into a lot of cars, the police couldn't use one video or photo from anyone's system but mine. Not even my other neighbors $1,300 4k system provided useful info - the cams just didn't cut it at night. His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from Andy based on my recommendation and seeing my results. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras... It is all about the amount of light needed and getting the right camera for the right location.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Do not be sold by some trademarked night color vision (Full Color, ColorVu, Starlight, etc.) that is a marketing ploy in a lot of ways lol. It is simply what a manufacturer wants to claim for low-light performance, but there are so many games that can be played even with the how they report the spec numbers. They will claim a low lux of 0.001 for example, but then that is with a wide open iris and a shutter at 1/3 second and an f1.0 - as soon as you have motion in it, it will be crap. You need a shutter of at minimum 1/60 second to reduce a lot of blur from someone walking.

All cameras need light. Simple physics.

The current king of the full color type camera is the Color 4K/X camera or the dual lens fusion camera and would be the only ones I would recommend.

I have a few other Full Color type cameras and the LED light on it is a gimmick. It helps for a small diameter circle, but it is no different than going outside at pitch black and turning on your cell phone light - it is bright looking directly at the LED light, but it doesn't spread out and reach very far. Fortunately I have enough ambient light that I do not need the little piddly LED light on and it actually looks worse with it on, but it performs better than my other cameras when tested at the same location. But without some light, a camera with IR capability is the safer bet.

Once you take these cameras off of auto/default settings (unless you like ghost and blur) Just remember that every increase in shutter speed needs more light. So I can set mine to 1/250 second and eliminate blur at night, but then all that is visible is a 5 foot diameter around the camera IF I have enough light.

If your camera doesn't have enough light, a 24/7 full color camera will not be of much good and now you have a camera with no IR and even if you added external IR, the camera will not see it since it does not have an IR filter. Unless you have stadium quality light, go with a camera that has IR capabilities or go with the 4K/X camera.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for cameras replacement at home.
I use 2 olds 1080p chinese ip cam.

I'm considering the Dahua DH-IPC-HFW2439S-SA-LED-S2 because it's small, cheap and "full color" .

I need one for my front yard (street view) with light in the night and another one for my back yard with little bit (almost nothing) artificial light during the night.

I don(t know if the DH-IPC-HFW2439S-SA-LED-S2 is ok for the back yard. Maybe another one with ir cut like the IPC-HFW2831S-S-S2 ?
Differences are 8mp vs 4mp and "full color" vs "starlight" .

With my old ip cams, I experienced a lot of artefacts in the night wiht infrared (rain, mosquittos ) .
Any advices for me ?

Thank you
FYI - Camera in question

Dahua DH-IPC-HFW2439S-SA-LED-S2

4MP Lite Full-color Fixed-focal Bullet Network Camera

· 4MP, 1/3" CMOS image sensor, low illuminance, high image definition
· Outputs 4MP (2560 × 1440) @ 25/30 fps, Max. supports 4MP
(2688 × 1520) @ 20 fps
· H.265 codec, high compression rate, ultra-low bit rate
· Built-in warm lights, max. illumination distance: 30 m
· ROI, SMART H.264+/H.265+, flexible coding, applicable to various
bandwidth and storage environments
· Rotation mode, WDR, 3D NR, HLC, BLC, digital watermarking,
applicable to various monitoring scenes
· Intelligent detection: Intrusion, tripwire
· Abnormality detection: Motion detection, video tampering, scene
changing, no SD card, SD card full, SD card error, network
disconnection, IP conflict, illegal access, voltage detection
· Supports max. 256 GB Micro SD card and built-in Mic
· 12V DC/PoE power supply
· IP67 protection

1641838897826.png

Attachments

boulete

n3wb
Reaction score
Due to the lack of information of the IPC-HDW5242T-ZE-MF I will buy the IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE

I'm wondering if the turret is fine for a vertical wall front (facade) mount to see the street, sidewalk and my window and door under it.
Actually have a bullet .

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a great camera, but One camera cannot be the be all, see all.

To identify someone with the wide-angle 2.8mm lens that most people opt for, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1641988301289.png

So unless the street, sidewalk, window, and door are all within 10 feet, anything beyond that will be more OBSERVE than IDENTIFY.

Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

Also, you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes unless it is a PTZ or varifocal that can "flatten the angle by optically zooming further out) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

We recommend a purchase of one good varifocal (like the 5442-ZE) and test it at all the proposed locations day and night to figure out the correct focal lengths and cams.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 turret, or any turret for that matter, can be mounted in any orientation. I have some mounted on the eaves, horizontally, and some mounted vertically on trees. On the vertical one I used the appropriate PFA boxes to provide shelter for the RJ connection, but other than that, there's no difference.

boulete

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks you guys, Do you know a good seller in europe or in china without custom fees (i'm in France) ?

alecz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have both the 2MP varifocal IPC-T3241T-ZAS bought here and the IPC-HDW2439T-AS-LED and here are some screenshots for reference:
The screenshots are tagged with the model name and the date.
Unfortunately, I don't have side-to-side comparison of same position, angle and date, but I chose pictures taken at similar times.

In all of these pictures there is no additional illumination, no IR, and no LEDs, just the ambient street lighting and it's as dark as it gets around here.

Videos show comparable amount of ghosting with wither cam, which is quite little, but hard to identify an unknown person without additional light.
My idea is to have the LED's turn on on movement, or even better, add a light with movement detector to turn on at night.

Attachments