What do you suggest for a IP cam system?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
My brother is seeing what I'm doing with my BI system and how I can remotely access the cams and see the recordings. I set up a BI system for my parents which is actually better than my own and he's seen that. Of course we have thousands of $$$ in our systems because of the number of cams and equipment we have for a whole house external cam system. He lives in a high rise condo in a major city and his condo must be around 900 sq-ft. He would like to set up a system that has only has 2 or 3 cams inside the condo as the building has a doorman and security for the hallways and entry to the high rise building. I doubt he wants to mount a cam on the patio overlooking the city.

He wants a system that records and is accessible from a computer or mobile phone. The system needs to include triggers for events but I see he's already said he wants triggers for the front door opening but not the cat walking around. With a place that small and since it's all internal I'm thinking WiFi cams (god forbid, I know!). Anyhow, he might be able to run some Cat6 under the carpet if need be. But, what would you suggest for a small system like this. Although it'd be nice to have him put together a small Blue Iris system I wonder if that is really overkill for a small condo with 2 or 3 cams. What is the ideal solution for a small system that records and give access from a computer and a mobile device? Suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My brother is seeing what I'm doing with my BI system and how I can remotely access the cams and see the recordings. I set up a BI system for my parents which is actually better than my own and he's seen that. Of course we have thousands of $$$ in our systems because of the number of cams and equipment we have for a whole house external cam system. He lives in a high rise condo in a major city and his condo must be around 900 sq-ft. He would like to set up a system that has only has 2 or 3 cams inside the condo as the building has a doorman and security for the hallways and entry to the high rise building. I doubt he wants to mount a cam on the patio overlooking the city.

He wants a system that records and is accessible from a computer or mobile phone. The system needs to include triggers for events but I see he's already said he wants triggers for the front door opening but not the cat walking around. With a place that small and since it's all internal I'm thinking WiFi cams (god forbid, I know!). Anyhow, he might be able to run some Cat6 under the carpet if need be. But, what would you suggest for a small system like this. Although it'd be nice to have him put together a small Blue Iris system I wonder if that is really overkill for a small condo with 2 or 3 cams. What is the ideal solution for a small system that records and give access from a computer and a mobile device? Suggestions?
I agree. Blue iris may be overkill and you can get by with wifi on a few cams indoors in a tiny unit. Almost any modern camera will have good nightvision indoors because the IR bounces off the walls.
Before any suggestions can be made, is whether he is comfortable with his cameras passing through and images stored in the cloud. If he wants the system to be local, then he will need some locally running vms that is not reliant on the cloud.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know many members were happy with the Amcrest PT indoor cameras ..

Looks like the WiFI 2MB model is running at $50 ..

1670030838098.png

btw - White model is Amcrest 2MP WiFi Security Camera Pan/Tilt White IP2M-841W-V3

note, Amcrest does have what looks like a cheaper newer design .. though I do not recall reading reviews from members on the newer model ..

1670031077664.png