What Cat-6 cable do you recommend?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm about to order some network goodies from Graybar, and I need more network cable. I have a box of 5E that will do gigabit but I wanted all new purchases to be Cat-6 or better. So, is there a certain brand or certain model of UTP Cat-6 cable that you prefer? Yes I will run POE: access points, switches, cameras and maybe a Sangoma phone, one day... I seem to remember a certain model of Belden was preferred for one reason or another. Also, I plan to start using a server with 10GB ethernet ability so I'll need to support 3-4 drops of 10G, less than 100' in length.

So, what Cat-6 cable do you recommend?

Also, if you have opinions about a particular Commscope jack (like MGS400 vs SL), I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Robert

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Monoprice and make sure its not copper clad aluminum! Also recommend getting a lower gauge wire that is also STP. 24 AWG is what I use.

Belden is great but too expensive.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No benefit to having a premium brand that you might see at a university or large business install? Yes, I knew to avoid CCA, thanks! Much of my other components are Commscope. I'll take a look at the Monprice products,

R

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you know where the Monoprice UTP Cat6 bulk cable is manufactured? I know that Hubbell and Commscope are all made in the USA!

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Monoprice all the way. I would recommend 1000ft, but go with 500ft because I've noticed that the bigger bulk sizes always seems to have a few kinks here and there throughout its length