What are the reasons as to why certain browsers mostly work while some do not on Dahua GUI?

Reaction score
As many find out...using Chrome browser interferes with Dahua camera GUI where as things just do not work right after hitting save (FW updates, auto-tracking seconds, no IVS lines on main view, etc). For those that do not know....do not use Chrome. Most folks use the older Microsoft IE browser (no...not Edge).
I personally use IE version 11 (I think) for the latest generation of cameras (5442's and SD4 ptz's). However, can not use IE on the older generations (5231's and 4231's) as the camera image actually moves to center of the screen blocking out needed menu options. In those instances, I have to use Chrome again, knowing it's limitations.
Browsers I have tried:
Chrome, Edge, Pale Moon (32bit), Pale Moon (64bit), Firefox.
Not tried: Safari, Opera, Brave, Vivaldi, Mosaic.
I just do not have time to try them all. Not yet :)
But what makes some browsers able to see IVS lines on main image...while others do not show?
And if it's a security issue (more secure/stable browser), does Dahua have plans to play nice with the newer browsers?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pale 32 bit works most of the time for me. It doesn't show the video at times, then it will.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Somebody selling cams from china told me once in an email, that gov't surveillance control had something to do with restricting them to IE and plug ins? not sure how accurate this is.
But they were trying to tell me that they currently were not allowed have camera Gui's work with Edge and Chrome.....
Big Brother, SkyNet, whatever....take that for what its worth.....
that was about 2 years ago....the actual truth? who knows....

Reaction score
Somebody selling cams from china told me once in an email, that gov't surveillance control had something to do with restricting them to IE and plug ins? not sure how accurate this is.
But they were trying to tell me that they currently were not allowed have camera Gui's work with Edge and Chrome.....
Big Brother, SkyNet, whatever....take that for what its worth.....
that was about 2 years ago....the actual truth? who knows....
Makes sense. I'm pretty sure China govt had their fingers in all things-tech for their own purposes just as USA & IRS does to me :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think it comes down to IE was the most popular browser when these cameras started to be made, so they centered the firmware around one particular browser and they got lazy and never updated the internals of the program to play nice with other browsers as more became available and IE started to fade.

Back when the firmware was written, it was probably a pain to get it to play nice with every different browser, so they went with the most popular one.

Now the IE is kinda hidden but still baked into Windows at the moment, the day will come that IE is no longer around and it is forcing companies to invest in the firmware.

Reaction score
I think it comes down to IE was the most popular browser when these cameras started to be made, so they centered the firmware around one particular browser and they got lazy and never updated the internals of the program to play nice with other browsers.

Now the IE is kinda hidden but still baked into Windows at the moment, the day will come that IE is no longer around and it is forcing companies to invest in the firmware.
This would make sense. My work has installed some ...ahem...."economical" business phone system logging software (calls in, calls out, time, destination caller ID, etc) created back in the hayday of IE (econimical = $500 vs latest greatest = $2000). Some things simply do not work on latest greatest browsers even in this older ACD (call accounting) software. Pain in the butt.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I remember reading that "plugins" were used because they provided the best video performance in a Web UI.
Your plugin firmware should work fine with Edge. Load the camera plugin login page in Edge, click ... at upper right, More Tools, Reload in Internet Explorer Mode. That is now Microsoft's legacy support for "plugin". IE wil lose support in 2022, and problably not be included in Windows 10 either.

mindtrix

n3wb
Reaction score
I remember reading that "plugins" were used because they provided the best video performance in a Web UI.
Your plugin firmware should work fine with Edge. Load the camera plugin login page in Edge, click ... at upper right, More Tools, Reload in Internet Explorer Mode. That is now Microsoft's legacy support for "plugin". IE wil lose support in 2022, and problably not be included in Windows 10 either.
You have to go to settings>default browser>allow sites to be reloaded in internet explorer mode> enable the slider next to it, then RESTART the browser. It doesn't work that great and still doesn't give you the same options as IE does either.

Reaction score
I think it comes down to IE was the most popular browser when these cameras started to be made, so they centered the firmware around one particular browser and they got lazy and never updated the internals of the program to play nice with other browsers as more became available and IE started to fade.

Back when the firmware was written, it was probably a pain to get it to play nice with every different browser, so they went with the most popular one.

Bolding is mine. @wittaj hit the nail squarely on the head right here.

Denizz

n3wb
Reaction score
I find it quite laughable that for security cameras, you are being forced to use a non supported, outdated browser. With Windows 11 it is not even there anymore. Note that MS Edge is the same backend as Chrome these days (Chromium) so you are likely to encounter the same issues as on Chrome.

Personally I use Firefox, without any plugins (I am unaware those exist) and I do have some issues like the menu not responding at times when there is a live view such as where the camera white balance settings are located. I then have to reload the page, log back in again and hopefully it does not do the same. But sometimes I have to redo that about five times. Quite infuriating. I hope someone can provide a method to (potentially) allivate that. I litteraly dont have the option to use IE anymore so thats a no go for me.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I find it quite laughable that for security cameras, you are being forced to use a non supported, outdated browser. With Windows 11 it is not even there anymore. Note that MS Edge is the same backend as Chrome these days (Chromium) so you are likely to encounter the same issues as on Chrome.

Personally I use Firefox, without any plugins (I am unaware those exist) and I do have some issues like the menu not responding at times when there is a live view such as where the camera white balance settings are located. I then have to reload the page, log back in again and hopefully it does not do the same. But sometimes I have to redo that about five times. Quite infuriating. I hope someone can provide a method to (potentially) allivate that. I litteraly dont have the option to use IE anymore so thats a no go for me.
Yeah, it appears to be a Windows issue more so than a browser issue. I use Brave, a Chrome based browser. It does not work well with the cameras under Windows. It does, however, seem to work fine with all of my cameras running under Linux Mint. I am a Linux newbie (only using it for 2 weeks now) but it seems to work with all of the cameras I have tried, and none of them work well under Brave on Windows.