Web UI live video stutter

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out. I've got a little BI box with only two cameras ATM. It meets all the specs for BI, 6th gen i5, everything works great except for one thing. I'm running it headless and RDP into it. I have a wireless camera and the live view for it, high quality stream, is horrible in the web UI seemingly only when I disconnect from RDP. When RDP is just connected, BI is not open, I seem to get a solid 7-8 fps at my chosen 1080p. As soon as I disconnect the fps just acts like a yoyo, down to 1 and I see the orange clock icon indicating a connection issue, then the fps jumps up to almost the full 15, then back down again. This is constant. I don't really care that I'm only getting 7-8 fps, I haven't looked into why, but the constant up and down when RDP is off is terrible.

Any ideas?

My laptop is connected to my network via a cable, my wifi is unifi AC, the camera is on my ac wifi and in BI itself it seems completely fine. I also have another 4k camera hard wired to the system and in the web UI the live view seems to behave a lot better, certainly doesn't timeout like the wireless one does.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi.

What CPU model is Blue Iris running on, and is the machine connected to the network via a cable? What is the overall CPU usage % as shown by task manager?

What CPU model is the web UI running on, and is the machine connected to the network via a cable? What is the overall CPU usage % as shown by task manager?

The CPU % shown in the web UI is that of the Blue Iris server, so you can use this to read the Blue Iris server's CPU usage % while it has no active display output.

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the response. The BI machine is hardwired on gigabit. The machine is a Dell optiplex with i5 6500, 8GB of ram. Most of the time the CPU is pretty low, I just logged in and grabbed the high res live stream which it is transcoding to 1080p and the cpu is at 20%.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if having RDP connected is forcing some hardware to be active or throttled up, which is otherwise inactive or throttled down. This thread talks about a windows power setting that can affect CPU performance: Anyone interested in running Blue Iris with 14 cameras on an i3 at 25% CPU usage?
Yep, I certainly found this to be true with my I7-7700, it effected how fast push notifications were sent, as well as the slow network warning on UI3 went away. Plus in my case, cpu usage dropped. Push notifications went from 5-20 seconds, some times longer, down to sub 2sec.