Weather Underground will no longer support WebCams

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.
Yeah @Ssayer gave us that update on another thread a couple of days ago. It's too bad but as other have said, as soon as IBM and TWC got involved WU turned into another alphabet stew, know commonly as CRAP.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bailed on WU the first time they did that a few years ago. WU used to be a good site for weather. Now, they are just like any other dumbed down weather app. If you want the best available weather site, might I suggest you go look at Windy as forecasted. It doesn't get any better than that.
Does windy allow you to add webcam?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest that anyone with, or without, a webcam disconnect their weather station from WU on October 21.
Email I just sent to WU.

"Notice: On Oct 21st, 2021 I will cease providing weather station data to WU. After 20 plus years of providing said data to WU, I have decided my time and effort is not worth it any longer. IBM made a complete and utter mess of WU since it's takeover, and now with the shut down of the Webcam hosting, (which by the way, has been a disaster since IBM took over) it's time to move to some other platform that appreciates what we, the PWS owners provide to you for FREE, that you use to generate income. The shutting down of web hosting is yet another slap in the face to the PWS providers. Just shut down WU completely, and put it out of it's hot mess existence."

I realize that A-it's unlikely ANYONE will read that email or B-if it's read, it won't make a wit of a difference.

But I feel a bit better by sending it. ;)

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I run CumulusMX for my weather station. This is my .ini setup file portion for sending data to WU. I changed it to this a few years ago when they threatened/half way implemented taking away all of our weather cams we supplied pictures to them via FTP. Needless to say, they haven't received anything from me since then.
Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 2.14.46 PM.png

rjp1267

n3wb
Reaction score
So now that WU is verboten what do we use? The SW does not allow using anything other than the losers at WU. I really like Windy kicks the tail out of Accuweather.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Email I just sent to WU.

"Notice: On Oct 21st, 2021 I will cease providing weather station data to WU. After 20 plus years of providing said data to WU, I have decided my time and effort is not worth it any longer. IBM made a complete and utter mess of WU since it's takeover, and now with the shut down of the Webcam hosting, (which by the way, has been a disaster since IBM took over) it's time to move to some other platform that appreciates what we, the PWS owners provide to you for FREE, that you use to generate income. The shutting down of web hosting is yet another slap in the face to the PWS providers. Just shut down WU completely, and put it out of it's hot mess existence."

I realize that A-it's unlikely ANYONE will read that email or B-if it's read, it won't make a wit of a difference.

But I feel a bit better by sending it. ;)
Great letter and I took the time to read it as it was factual, on point, and encompassing of the history of the service. Sadly, almost every large company that has bought out any service or product has done so to kill off competition or to acquire very specific talent / IP.

Apple, did the same thing for Dark Sky, Google killed off more than ten products and services, Microsoft - what can you say about a company that missed almost every technology advancement in known history! :facepalm: :lmao: