Weather info and radar loop as a camera

rldun

n3wb
Reaction score
One of my customers (a church) wants a weather radar for the security personnel to be able to monitor. Instead of splitting the monitor the cameras are on to also show a weather site I came across this Animated Weather Radar Loops as a Blue Iris camera but I cannot get it to work. Anyone else have luck with this or another method to point me to?

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One of my customers (a church) wants a weather radar for the security personnel to be able to monitor. Instead of splitting the monitor the cameras are on to also show a weather site I came across this Animated Weather Radar Loops as a Blue Iris camera but I cannot get it to work. Anyone else have luck with this or another method to point me to?
I just followed that page's instructions and was able to add the camera. Below are my settings using BI version 5.6.2.3.

1678831770272.png
1678831799771.png

GaryBravo

n3wb
Reaction score
I used this method to display radar on our screen as one of the cameras also, but about a month ago, it stopped working live. It shows a radar loop, but it never updates like it used to. I didn't change anything, but on Day 5 of perfectly clear days, it is showing a line of showers moving in that doesn't exist (but did 6 days ago). I've looked over everything but can't find anything that would explain why it is no longer updating itself.

Anyone having the same issue or have an idea to check? My settings match perfectly what is above on the screen captures from

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it has anything to do with images from Weather Underground
I used this method to display radar on our screen as one of the cameras also, but about a month ago, it stopped working live. It shows a radar loop, but it never updates like it used to. I didn't change anything, but on Day 5 of perfectly clear days, it is showing a line of showers moving in that doesn't exist (but did 6 days ago). I've looked over everything but can't find anything that would explain why it is no longer updating itself.

Anyone having the same issue or have an idea to check? My settings match perfectly what is above on the screen captures from
If it has anything to do with images from Weather Underground then all bets are off as to it's timely accuracy, they've gone off the rails as far as dependable, up-to-date images. I used to look at this manually to see what was on its way toward me and it's been several hours off (late) for months now.

Wish I had better news. :confused:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I use NWS like this:
Code:
radar.weather.gov/ridge/standard/KLWX_loop.gif

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you have local TV stations with weather or radar maps, you can try using theirs. Two of my local TV stations have radar maps so I just make cameras using URLs to their animated map pictures. It works great.

GaryBravo

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck getting the new NWS maps to work? The URL changes as you zoom in and change view options, so it sounds like it should easily work to view exactly what area I want it to do. For example:

But when you zoom in/out, you will see the URL changes. So I would think I should be able to set the top line to: and the main stream to the rest of the URL "/?settings=v1......" but that doesn't seem to work.

Oh and @Mike A. I will use that if I can't get this newer version of their maps to work. Thank you.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
No, it doesn't doesn't stream like that. At least that I've ever been able to find a way to do. You'd have to frame that page in some way.

I thought at one point I'd found a way to capture a live web page like that I wanted to watch but if so I'm not able to do it again. At least without a lot of roundabout stuff involved.

GaryBravo

n3wb
Reaction score
It sure would be nice to allow a camera to be a webpage. We have a big screen that shows the cameras around the house, but I like it to be informative also with the weather/news... But can only get the radar to work, which thanks to WU having terrible service, that isn't good... and I hate the 1990's style radar the NWS offers on their GIF... but I guess I will have to live with.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, it's ugly but it's simple and it works. Nothing else to run, no logins/API, etc. Once in a while a site will go down for maintenance and they've changed the URLs a couple of times, but other than that it's just worked for years.