WD 4TB Purple drive failure

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Today I logged into my daughter's BI system and noticed yellow exclamations on half of her cams. After further research I figured out one of her 4TB drives failed completely. Fortunately I have 1/2 of her cams continuous record to one 4TB drive and the other half to another 4TB drive. So I remotely connected to her BI machine and changed the cams on the failed drive to record to the other.

Which gave me this idea. Currently I only use 2 of the profiles available on BI (default & 7) So I plan on using profile 4 and 5 now to set up a emergency plan to quickly change ether 1/2 of her cams to the other drive in case this ever happens again. So, all cams record to drive C: on profile 4 and all cams record to drive F: on profile 5. This will give me the option to quickly fix the BI setup in case of a drive failure by simply selecting that profile anywhere with out having to log in and change each cams properties. Not sure how the database will like this but it's better than nothing until I get the drive replaced.

Just another good reason to have 2 drives.....just in case. This was my first Purple drive to go bad and it was only 3 months old :(

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I just got a 4TB purple and it was DOA, right out of the box. As the saying goes, stuff happens sometimes. I may build a RAID array just to be on the safe side, but that''s a little overkill for a home system, I think.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have my dad's BI server running 2 8TB Seagate NAS drives in Mirror mode using Windows Storage spaces. I did it a while back and now realize it isn't a recommended solution for NVR. But it's working and another primary purpose of that server is data backups for his shop and personal PCs.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a 4TB purple and it was DOA, right out of the box. As the saying goes, stuff happens sometimes. I may build a RAID array just to be on the safe side, but that''s a little overkill for a home system, I think.
They can easily be damaged during shipment, you know, Olympic trials performed with the boxes.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I got a replacement drive yesterday. I've been busy, preparing for a forecasted snowpocolypse between tomorrow and Wednesday. I'll probably install it tomorrow due to the crappy weather cramping my yard work.

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Since it's snaining outside, snow/sleet/rain, I put the new 4TB purple in and it fired right up. Happily migrating data now.