Water Pump - Rain barrel solution

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I wanted to know if there are any members who operate a rain barrel catchment system if so what has been a proven and reliable water pump. I’m not too hung up on 12 VDC vs 120 VAC. But do prefer a 120 VAC pump so I don’t need to worry about a battery (solar) system that is still in the planning stages.

The only requirements are decent hose pressure as seen from any water facet. The unit is so rated for a reasonable run time without failing. I don’t expect to be running it 24.7.365 but more likely 15-25 minutes at least.

If it has any sort of run dry (pressure) protection even better as many of the pumps I’ve seen will burn up if no water flow is present.

Below are just a few models I chose for no other reason besides they are well rated, priced fine, and appear to offer some of the requirements needed. All I want to do is be able to plug the motor in hook it up to a garden hose and just water the lawn / plants.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Good thing you're not in oregon where it's illegal to capture the rain that falls on your property. (Sorry to pollute your thread with this, I couldn't resist).
No problem I read about this many years ago and to this very day can’t believe it!

I don’t recall if that is the only State vs many others. Have a really hard time understanding how trying to limit consumption while being green is a bad thing?!?

Thank God that’s not something I have to worry about here.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since you don't live in Oregon, your idea sounds good. However, small pumps, like what you have listed, have a challenge to produce pressure and head you may need. While 330 gph sounds good, you need to look at the pressure you need. Typical pressures at a home in the US are 40-80 PSI. Normal hose flow would be 2-5 gpm. These pumps put out much lower pressure. For example, the first one puts out about 23 psi at 2 gpm (~ 7.5 l/s). Many of them do not offer any indication of flow at increased pressure - do NOT go by the "330 gpm" on the box!!

Now, 2 gpm may be plenty, but if you add a 100 foot hose, you will be below 2 gpm, and that is before you add the loss for whatever nozzle you are using. . I would look for a pump which can do a little more pressure. Or if your patient, it should work! Typically small pumps are throwaway and are not repaired. I would look for the best reviews and lots of them. Also, make sure you have a strainer on the suction, dirt and pebbles will wreak havoc with plastic impellers.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Since you don't live in Oregon, your idea sounds good. However, small pumps, like what you have listed, have a challenge to produce pressure and head you may need. While 330 gph sounds good, you need to look at the pressure you need. Typical pressures at a home in the US are 40-80 PSI. Normal hose flow would be 2-5 gpm. These pumps put out much lower pressure. For example, the first one puts out about 23 psi at 2 gpm (~ 7.5 l/s). Many of them do not offer any indication of flow at increased pressure - do NOT go by the "330 gpm" on the box!!

Now, 2 gpm may be plenty, but if you add a 100 foot hose, you will be below 2 gpm, and that is before you add the loss for whatever nozzle you are using. . I would look for a pump which can do a little more pressure. Or if your patient, it should work! Typically small pumps are throwaway and are not repaired. I would look for the best reviews and lots of them. Also, make sure you have a strainer on the suction, dirt and pebbles will wreak havoc with plastic impellers.
Yes, several filters are planned for the system once I can narrow down a reliable unit.

One will obviously be placed at the inlet of the pump.

I’ve seen shingle pellets in the two rain barrels prefilters already. Ideally would like to see at least 25 PSI or more but I’m patient so water dribbling isn’t the end of the world.

Just rather not be standing there for hours to get a single cup out!

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While sump pumps do provide lots more flow, they may not have enough pressure. The one linked above maxes out at 24 feet of head or 11 psi. The 115 l/min is 30 gpm, but probably drops to less than one at only 10 psi. Some sump pumps should do fine, others just won't have the pressure required, depending on your specific application.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd suggest using a well pump and tank to ensure having both flow and pressure. Not exactly a "green" solution but one that will work properly.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd suggest using a well pump and tank to ensure having both flow and pressure. Not exactly a "green" solution but one that will work properly.
This is exactly what I was thinking too as it would insure steady volume, pressure, and some level of protection from running dry:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some things to think about:

1) How to turn it on. Switch may be easiest
2) Pressure. You will need at least 45 psi to run sprinkler
3) Centrifugal is better and less prone to failure than diaphragm. And better with dirty water.
4) With sufficient pressure there is no need for tank…..it adds to the cost.
5) You get what you pay for. Cheap Chinese pumps are less reliable.
6) Brass and stainless steel impeller components will last longer than steel or plastic.
7) Pump with built in pressure switch will turn it off when you turn water off.
8) Built in dry protection is also a plus if tank runs dry to prevent pump burn out.

Much depends on your budget and how you plan on using it. Hope this helps.

I’m a licensed irrigator and deal with water every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Some things to think about:

1) How to turn it on. Switch may be easiest
2) Pressure. You will need at least 45 psi to run sprinkler
3) Centrifugal is better and less prone to failure than diaphragm. And better with dirty water.
5) You get what you pay for. Cheap Chinese pumps are less reliable.
6) Brass and stainless steel impeller components will last longer than steel or plastic.
7) Pump with built in pressure switch will turn it off when you turn water off.
8) Built in dry protection is also a plus if tank runs dry to prevent pump burn out.

Much depends on your budget and how you plan on using it. Hope this helps.

I’m a licensed irrigator and deal with water every day.

This is only intended for a garden hose with a spray gun. Just so I can walk around to water the grass and a few plants. I agree you get what you pay for especially for any motor / pump.

Many of the listing don’t indicate what the internal parts are made of whether it be brass / SS / plastic. Have to assume below $100.XX almost everything will be plastic?!?

The outside is a little easier to tell assuming a full 360’ view to determine the inlet / outlet ports if plastic vs metal. Would love to see any links of pumps that have been solid products you’ve used.

Rather buy once - cry once!

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What he said.

Tanks are used when you have a greater demand for water than the pump puts out. In homes this is common, you take a shower, flush a toilet, and turn on a sink. But this all only occurs for a couple of minutes. The rest of the hour you don't use any water. So a much smaller pump works with the tank.

For fixed flow rate such as this, as @mcapeed indicates, a pump with a switch will work fine. You will get some water hammer with such a setup, but no big deal.

I also agree with the pump materials, but they may drive the price to the point that throw away is better, it just depends. @mcapeed do you have pump recommendations?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I was really hoping to stay below $200.00 given this is very much a seasonal low use affair. But also want to buy once and not waste money every 1-2 years either.

If such a beast exists at that price range or even lower I’m all in!

Thanks to everyone chiming in. I’m surprised how little people are / have a rain barrel system in place?!?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Relying on rain around here for watering needs is too unpredictable. We tend to get very wet periods, as in more than "average" by double or so, for a week or so, then a week or two of relatively dry, maybe occasional showers or a little rain. I'd need to be able to store 1,000 gallons to even consider it. Yeah, I could build a tank, of sorts, that would do the job, but it just isn't worth it, time, money and return on investment. I'm trying to keep half an acre of grass green and that takes reliable, consistent, watering.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Relying on rain around here for watering needs is too unpredictable. We tend to get very wet periods, as in more than "average" by double or so, for a week or so, then a week or two of relatively dry, maybe occasional showers or a little rain. I'd need to be able to store 1,000 gallons to even consider it. Yeah, I could build a tank, of sorts, that would do the job, but it just isn't worth it, time, money and return on investment. I'm trying to keep half an acre of grass green and that takes reliable, consistent, watering.
Agree, completely with your thoughts and if you have a large property the investment for a rain catchment system depending how DIY vs Retail systems that can be bought increases costs.

That also doesn’t address the need for placement and balancing curb appeal.

This is something that has been sitting on the To Do List forever. As with many things for me this finally happen due to perfect timing and our first draught in more than 60 plus years!

A local school decided to offer rain barrels to raise funds for their various needs. Given it included all of the needed parts at a very reasonable price while going towards the kids - why not!

Unlike you, I live in the city and don’t have a large property so trying to balance storage location, curb appeal, and practical access was hard to find. As of this writing the two barrels are sitting next to one another blocking my gate door?!?

I’ll need to build a permanent stand and get the pump if long term use is to be successful. I honestly can’t say having two giant grey barrels is very eye appealing sitting in my back yard but I’ll probably come up with hiding it under the new deck once it’s built.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All the pumps I deal with are 240 volt with much higher capacity than needed for a rain barrel system.

I see lots of Munro pumps doing well. Smallest 120 volt one they make is 3/4 hp and runs about $$350 you search suppliers.

Little giant makes decent stuff too. With such limited usage a no brand with brass or steel impeller should be just fine. Be sure to prevent freezing as it will crack the housing if it freezes.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
All the pumps I deal with are 240 volt with much higher capacity than needed for a rain barrel system.

I see lots of Munro pumps doing well. Smallest 120 volt one they make is 3/4 hp and runs about $$350 you search suppliers.

Little giant makes decent stuff too. With such limited usage a no brand with brass or steel impeller should be just fine. Be sure to prevent freezing as it will crack the housing if it freezes.

Appreciate the feedback.

Right now it’s fall so this isn’t a huge priority to buy at the moment. So I have lots of time to review some of the web content and YouTube to help narrow down a few.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll suggest the Harbor Freight 1 HP shallow well pump for your short list. I used one heavily for about 8 years (~6 hours a day for half the year), not expecting it to last, but it was totally reliable. I did eventually buy a bigger pump and am sitting on this one as an emergency spare. It has been a very good 1/2 HP pump. A "real" 1 HP pump outperforms it by a lot. The tank that came with it didn't last, and one disclaimer is that it has possibly changed since I bought mine. In the current picture of it, the motor looks different but the pump part looks the same. If you can have the pump lower than the water level in the barrels you can escape the priming hassles that afflict all of them. I lift the water about 5 feet and the priming every year sometimes feels like one of those magic rituals.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll suggest the Harbor Freight 1 HP shallow well pump for your short list. I used one heavily for about 8 years (~6 hours a day for half the year), not expecting it to last, but it was totally reliable. I did eventually buy a bigger pump and am sitting on this one as an emergency spare. It has been a very good 1/2 HP pump. A "real" 1 HP pump outperforms it by a lot. The tank that came with it didn't last, and one disclaimer is that it has possibly changed since I bought mine. In the current picture of it, the motor looks different but the pump part looks the same. If you can have the pump lower than the water level in the barrels you can escape the priming hassles that afflict all of them. I lift the water about 5 feet and the priming every year sometimes feels like one of those magic rituals.
Our equivalent is Princess Auto in Canada so will definitely check what options are available. I’m not too hung up on getting to the very bottom.

But, would prefer to use the bottom spigot that’s there now along with a reliable pump.