Want to get PTZ up about 50' above ground level... suggestions?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a large (12 acre) vacant/unimproved (no utilities) lot that is currently has no cameras. I've run a PoE+ line from my house to where I'd like to mount a camera. It is deep in the woods with only a small area and driveway cleared. I'd like to mount the PTZ high enough to see over the tallest trees.

Is there a simple/cost-effective method of getting a pole/tower installed (DIY) that might hold a 10lb camera setup without swaying in the wind so as to make MD useless?

I've searched marketplace and CL for old ham radio towers, but they look quite intimidating as far as installation.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hydro/power pole would work but they typically are not 50' to the top above ground.

A light pole from a highway would be tall enough but you'll spend a fortune on a concrete base for it if you could find a cheap used one.

Anything that isn't rigid will sway, and will require guy-wires.

An old TV antenna tower would work but again, you'll need guy-wires.

You could have something custom built.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks, Kevin. Those are all good suggestions. Maybe I could just guy-wire the tallest tree and bolt a pole to the top half ;)

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Others might have better suggestions. A tree would 100% be the cheapest option.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd check out the planning situation. Anything that high will probably require planning permission.

Wouldn't it be cheaper simply to extend the POE or use a wireless connection?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'd check out the planning situation. Anything that high will probably require planning permission.

Wouldn't it be cheaper simply to extend the POE or use a wireless connection?
What is a planning situation/permission?

The issue is height, not distance. I'm on 52 acres with no neighbors within a mile...

That said, I think I'm going to bail on the idea after all. Something about putting network gear on a metal structure that will be taller than anything else around makes me a bit uneasy. Last summer we experienced a close lightning strike that ended up literally blowing holes in network cables and cooking a number of devices. Unless I opto-isolated the data and ran off of solar, I would be seriously tempting fate.