vlan tagging at the camera

Panda Jerk

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a way to set vlan tags at the camera? The switchport interfaces are trunk ports expecting tagged not native vlan frames. I cannot find a GUI option to set this.

I'm using multiple Hik DS-2CD2042WD-I 4MP all running v5.4.1 build 160525

Thanks.

Bink

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why would you connect a video camera to a trunk port?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On my Ubiquiti switches, you can set the Port VLAN ID on each interface. It will add a VLAN tag to the packets coming in from that interface which is useful when the client doesn't understand VLANs or you want to force an interface onto a specific VLAN.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
which is useful when the client doesn't understand VLANs or you want to force an interface onto a specific VLAN.
Presumably then you need to associate a subset of other switch ports with that same VLAN.
Therefore does that mean that these are essentially configured as untagged ports on that VLAN?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Presumably then you need to associate a subset of other switch ports with that same VLAN.
Therefore does that mean that these are essentially configured as untagged ports on that VLAN?
They're tagged as far as I know. For example, switch port 23 has PVID set to 140, putting it on VLAN140, and participates in VLAN140 only. That's where my POE switch with the cameras connects in. Then switch port 24 uplinks to the router. Port 24 is tagged for VLAN140. The router has a VLAN140 on the interface linking to switchport 24. Everything on the POE switch connected to port 23 lives on VLAN140's subnet.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like a port-based (untagged) VLAN.
Which is perfectly fine, given physical security of the cables.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No Hikvision camera I have ever seen supports VLAN tagging.

Maybe their higher-end commercial stuff.