Viewing NVR on tvs through out house

Reaction score
My current installation in progress is a single 4k NVR and 4K tv in a central closet in my house. I want to view the nvr on 3 possibly 4 wall hung tv's (not 4k but maybe someday) through out house. I have already ran cat6 to all the tv's and my thought process was beings all the tv's are smart so I could use the wifi on them for all entertainment purposes and use hdmi extentenders to use the cat6 cable for nvr viewing in all tvs. However it just seems like a lot of junctions and im wondering it there is a better way that doesn't involve internet or apps. My internet speed is 5mbs DL and like 2 UL so pretty pathetic and plus im far from a networking guru. The way im picturing this is. NVR----1in4out hdmi splitter---shorty hdmi cable----hdmi extender TX box to rj45-------cat6 to tvs----- hdmi extender RX to hdmi-----shorty hdmi cable to tv.

The longest run I have is about 100 feet and the shortest is maybe 40. Is there any way to shorten the above plan the way im seeing it?

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

I would use the LAN connectivity rather than extended HDMI. The LAN connectivity wont use your DSL speed as it will be local traffic. Moreover each TV could show various combination of cameras as compared to the same screen when the extenders are used. However, you need to confirm if the tvs can install the latest hikvision app. Maybe test the closest tv.

Perhaps share a map of your layout and we could give some input.

Reaction score
I’m using a Lorex nvr not sure hikvision would work. Also I’d rather not deal with an app. Seams like it would be easier to switch inputs on tv vs going to an app and waiting for things to do whatever they have to do in order to show feed. Honestly I’m fine with the nvr view (9 boxes showing my 8 cameras view) Plus the majority of my TVs are Vizio And they are not the greatest when it comes to the smart features.

Reaction score
Now that im thinking about it I do kind of like the idea of having a separate veiwing panel all together. Maybe like a big iPad or something like that to set by chair or something. So i could watch tv and quickly glance at cameras whenever

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about a HD modulator that sends a signal. You basically pick a number for your channel different to your tv channels and name it eg NVR. When you scan your tv channels it finds the broadcast signal. I’ve got 2 I use at home. One for pay tv and another for a central bluray player. You could hdmi from your nvr to the modulator and from there via coax to a antenna central distribution box. Nvr channel on every tv in your house if they’re on coax. My modulator also had hdmi out. That might work for you. You’d have heaps more options in the US than we have in AU.

Reaction score
So I would need to mount modulator in attic next to the antenna splitter and run another cat6 using hdmi extender to get nvr signal to modulator.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Due to heat I try and avoid electronic equipment in the roof space, but that may not be an issue in your case, so you could place them together like that or you could place the modulator with or near your nvr. You just need the coax run back to the distribution box.

NoBr8ks

n3wb
Reaction score
Um, RTSP stream using RPi 4 hung off the backside of TV? (Hardwired of course) Pick your flavor, both Raspbian & Kodi work for this. There's even an add on within Kodi for this reason.