Video Skips Frame When Viewing Playback Of Motion Detect Video Only

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I watch playback of motion detect videos it skips a few frames. For example if a car drives in front of my house I only see the first second of it driving by and the remaining few seconds of the car I do not see. If motion detect is not enabled and I watch playback of the motion the issue does not occur. According to Lorex support this is expected behavior. I've tried using the Lorex software, Flir Cloud client and Dahua Smart PSS software. Also this is happening with different Lorex cameras that I have not just one.

Lorex NVR Model: LNR6163W

See 3 examples below

Example 1: Example 2: Example 3:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I watch playback of motion detect videos it skips a few frames. For example if a car drives in front of my house I only see the first second of it driving by and the remaining few seconds of the car I do not see. If motion detect is not enabled and I watch playback of the motion the issue does not occur. According to Lorex support this is expected behavior. I've tried using the Lorex software, Flir Cloud client and Dahua Smart PSS software. Also this is happening with different Lorex cameras that I have not just one.

Lorex NVR Model: LNR6163W

See 3 examples below

Example 1: Example 2: Example 3:
This was happening on some dahua NVR's until a firmware upgrade was released (there is a thread on it). It is not "expected behavior" they are full of crap.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Dahua NVR and confirm what fenderman said. A problem with the rebranded equipment is they are often behind on adopting new firmware. I still lose a frame or 2 with smartpss, but on the NVR's interface it's seamless.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I updated the firmware on the NVR yesterday right after fenderman's post, tested it just now and the issue persists. Any other ideas? Thank you!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you use Dahua or Lorex firmware? If it's Dahua, what version? If it's Lorex, probably only Lorex users can help. A couple of years ago I switched brands over this issue. My rebranded Hikvision NVR had a big problem. It was fixed in Hikvision firmware, but not in what my rebrand had available.

Martius

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever get this sorted?
I have 4 x 4k cameras connected to a nvr4104hs-p-4ks2 (installed by professionals) which is recording the motion correctly, but when I try to play back just the motion footage it will jump the other cameras while moving to the next piece of footage. Though I can play all of the footage if I click it with the mouse.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
In Dahua NVR's, Regular and Motion Video have different setting For Bitrate, FPS and so on. Make sure they match or you will get the skipping effect also.

fw.JPG

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys really appreciate it. It was driving me so crazy I turned off motion detect because the playback was so choppy. This is what I see, can you post more screenshots of the motion video settings that you are talking about. Thank you!
4564567.PNG

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
See where it says 'General"? click that drop down and you'll see Motion or MD (new interface). Sometimes if the MD recording isnt set the same as the "General" recording you'll get weird stuff happen.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed that Might be a issue is you are using h265 encoding, sometimes it might cause weird things also, Not sure but your sub stream is h264h and the main stream is h265. Try going to h264h on both for a day or two and see how it goes if the above advise does not help.

Ahseng

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm also been observing this issue on my Dahua DHI-NVR4108-8P-4KS2 NVR and 6 IPC-HDW4631C-A cameras.

I've had the NVR upgraded to V4 of their software (so much more clean and modern!).

I am only running MD on mine and couldn't get steady playback at times. I've just updated it to have the General and MD settings match, fingers crossed that the choppy playback issue is resolved.

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm also been observing this issue on my Dahua DHI-NVR4108-8P-4KS2 NVR and 6 IPC-HDW4631C-A cameras.

I've had the NVR upgraded to V4 of their software (so much more clean and modern!).

I am only running MD on mine and couldn't get steady playback at times. I've just updated it to have the General and MD settings match, fingers crossed that the choppy playback issue is resolved.
Did you have any luck with this? I'm experiencing the same issues with a Lorex NVR.

Ahseng

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to update this thread! After making updates to the General and MD settings I saw some improvements. It was no longer choppy, but it appeared to be 'buffering' when playing back. I decided to open up the NVR and swap out the HDD inside. It was a 3TB Seagate Green drive. I replaced it with a WD Purple HD and it has been working flawlessly now. It is behaving as I expect a home security system to work.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to update this thread! After making updates to the General and MD settings I saw some improvements. It was no longer choppy, but it appeared to be 'buffering' when playing back. I decided to open up the NVR and swap out the HDD inside. It was a 3TB Seagate Green drive. I replaced it with a WD Purple HD and it has been working flawlessly now. It is behaving as I expect a home security system to work.
Proof positive why you need the correct harddrive for the application.

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No worries. You are under no obligation to do so. I appreciate you came back to respond! :)

Unfortunately, my unit already has a WD Purple HD in it. Of course, my scenario is different from yours as I have a Lorex NVR. I suspect the firmware may be the issue. I've looked into the settings and made sure they match as was also suggested in this thread. I will keep troubleshooting for now.

cgaff

n3wb
Reaction score
No worries. You are under no obligation to do so. I appreciate you came back to respond! :)

Unfortunately, my unit already has a WD Purple HD in it. Of course, my scenario is different from yours as I have a Lorex NVR. I suspect the firmware may be the issue. I've looked into the settings and made sure they match as was also suggested in this thread. I will keep troubleshooting for now.
I'm in the same boat as you. Curious if anyone else has discovered any other solutions? This issue caused my cameras to be useless in an event that happened yesterday unfortunately.

cgaff

n3wb
Reaction score
I was able to fix after updating firmware of the NVR
Did you have to update manual or over cloud? Mine is saying it's up to date, and I can't find a later version available on Lorex's website. Maybe I'll have to call them