Video in GUI/App freezes - but fine in recordings?

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got 6x hikvision cameras on blue iris (latest version). CPU is always less than 20% ... weird issue that just started happening with H265+ enabled... on the iOS app/windows GUI and even UI3.... the video will lag/freeze up to 5-20 seconds and then play a few seconds and then freeze again for a few seconds and then it may play fine for 30 seconds before freezing again... when i go back to "playback" for those timeframes, it records fine - no issues at all.

I have "video during remote desktop" set to Unrestricted -- this has never changed.

I also have "Limit live preview" to 10fps.

Any suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got 6x hikvision cameras on blue iris (latest version). CPU is always less than 20% ... weird issue that just started happening with H265+ enabled... on the iOS app/windows GUI and even UI3.... the video will lag/freeze up to 5-20 seconds and then play a few seconds and then freeze again for a few seconds and then it may play fine for 30 seconds before freezing again... when i go back to "playback" for those timeframes, it records fine - no issues at all.

I have "video during remote desktop" set to Unrestricted -- this has never changed.

I also have "Limit live preview" to 10fps.

Any suggestions?
BLue iris does not support the smart/+ codecs. You will have issues with the recorded videos as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh that sucks... i was soo impressed with the stats, the bit rate was going from 1500-2000kB/s down to 120-200kB/s and massive CPU drop...
any cpu drop is likely due to missed frames that were not decoded or recorded, not a legitimate drop.

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
note, selecting limit decoding can also sometimes cause these symptoms
Interesting... do you think it's worthwhile disabling limit decoding unless required and keeping H.265+ on? I understand you mentioned it's not supported but what is odd is on video playback it was all smooth playback with NIL issues observed (to the naked eye)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting... do you think it's worthwhile disabling limit decoding unless required and keeping H.265+ on? I understand you mentioned it's not supported but what is odd is on video playback it was all smooth playback with NIL issues observed (to the naked eye)?
Be careful with limit decoding as it affects the reliability of motion detection (although there have been improvements in the latest updates)....
I believe you will have issues with 265+...and at the worst possible time.

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Be careful with limit decoding as it affects the reliability of motion detection (although there have been improvements in the latest updates)....
Interesting.. I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up.

So ideally would it be best to keep that disabled on cameras that I REQUIRE accurate motion detection and then those that I do not care so much about motion detection keep it enabled to reduce CPU?

Just thinking out loud... would it still impact upon motion detection if I have my cameras keyframes set to 20 and my FPS is 20?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting.. I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up.

So ideally would it be best to keep that disabled on cameras that I REQUIRE accurate motion detection and then those that I do not care so much about motion detection keep it enabled to reduce CPU?

Just thinking out loud... would it still impact upon motion detection if I have my cameras keyframes set to 20 and my FPS is 20?
its best to keep it disabled on all cameras.
yes

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
its best to keep it disabled on all cameras.
Gotcha. What is the real-life benefit of disabling on all cameras other than improved motion detection, especially considering continuous recording is enabled?

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
see wiki on optimizing blue iris
Right. Yes, so from the wiki: "There is one notable inaccuracy in that statement. It claims there is typically one keyframe per second, but this is false. Most cameras by default only produce one keyframe every 2-4 seconds. It is advisable to adjust your camera's i-frame interval to be equal to the frame rate if you are going to use Limit decoding unless required along with Blue Iris's motion detection."

As per my post above, my i-frame is set to 20 and my video is set to 20FPS... which matches what they suggest in the wiki - or am I understanding something?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right. Yes, so from the wiki: "There is one notable inaccuracy in that statement. It claims there is typically one keyframe per second, but this is false. Most cameras by default only produce one keyframe every 2-4 seconds. It is advisable to adjust your camera's i-frame interval to be equal to the frame rate if you are going to use Limit decoding unless required along with Blue Iris's motion detection."

As per my post above, my i-frame is set to 20 and my video is set to 20FPS... which matches what they suggest in the wiki - or am I understanding something?
yes