Video Back-up -What are the best options, etc?

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need some expert advice here. :flustered:

I would like to begin backing up recorded "Blue Iris" videos files from my PC to a cloud service and/or a local cloud recording device. This is way out of my comfort zone in understanding. Can anyone offer some cost effective recommendations here?

Just for the record.... A local retailer is having a great sale on Western Digitals Cloud Storage device. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140 . Could I use something like this through Blue Iris?

My preference is to keep things simple and not run additional Ethernet cable for a burglar to follow.

Tiger

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you want offsite backup or just local? Those WD Clouds are popular and could be hidden well in an attic/subfloor if your creative enough, negating most of the need for offsite.. Offsite is really only needed if you are planning for some extreme disaster recovery; ie if you want to get the video of your house being blown away by a hurricane/tornado lol.

you can also get a cheap-o tiny lil NVR and hide it really well.. or put SD cards in your cameras if it supports em and have it save a substream off locally..

the trick is having enough network devices there is no way he is chasing every cable out of your switch.. run it up into the attic with a big bundle and put it between some celing studs with a board over top, black out all the LED's and who the hell is gonna find that? Chances are you could add in a power outlet in your attic pretty easily, just dont hook it up to a light-switch :).. Basements/Subfloors are alot more temperate than attics tho and would be preferred.

One idea is to install a large mirror on the wall in your computer room, you can cut out a hole in the wall behind it to hide the NVR and then attach it flush to the wall.. it makes your computer room feel bigger and makes a decent hiding spot... I have access holes behind my bathroom mirror for yanking cable from basement to attic, would be a great hiding place.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nayr makes a good point about local storage. Backing up to the cloud is very data intensive and will bog your connection and if your isp has limits...well you will go over them... You need to set it up so that blue iris either records directly to the device or have some app duplicating the video folder instantly. I doubt any burglar is going to follow ethernet cable...they dont have that kind of time and 99.99 percent of the time dont have that kind of technical knowledge.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Offsite is really only needed if you are planning for some extreme disaster recovery; ie if you want to get the video of your house being blown away by a hurricane/tornado lol.

:laugh::laugh:

Good morning guys,

Thank you both for your constructive input.

Local storage would certainly be the most cost effective. Would either of you know if the WD Cloud device has the ability to be configured to instantly copy the BI video folder or would I be pointing to the cloud device from settings inside BI?

Tiger

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sorry I am not a Windows lUser, thus I have no idea w/BI..

If you want a copy of everything on the WD Cloud you just need a backup program that will watch for new files and transfer them to the network drive.
Or you map the network drive to a local drive letter and save everything directly to it like it was a local disk.