Version 4.2.1

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
4.2.1 - October 17, 2015

• The motion detection algorithm has been replaced by a more sophisticated Gaussian background subtraction model. This new algorithm has a longer learning period before changes are accepted as background. There is also a "shadow cancellation" option which attempts to remove shadows from consideration as objects or movement.
  • As this is a new algorithm, please bear with us as we fine-tune it to best accommodate lighting and scene changes, and please provide your feedback.
  • The motion detector may now be set to "high definition" mode, causing it to use 4x the number of image samples for its algorithms. You will see this as smaller overlay squares if you are using the option to highlight motion.
  • The object detection algorithm has been rewritten in order to provide support for more advanced analysis. Now, multiple objects may be detected and each is tracked with a path vector. This will be used with new triggering filters such as distance travelled and "line crossing." The pixel-distance filter is implemented today; use the new Edit button to the right of the object detection checkbox to set this. Objects must still survive the "make time" in order to cause triggers.
  • Together, these significant enhancements should dramatically increase the reliability and configurability of motion-based triggers.

Reaction score
HELP!

This update screwed up my system and my Trivision cameras video output is useless. How do I roll back the update? I'm dead in the water here...I need the 4.1.9 install file or a fix ASAP please!!!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
HELP!

This update screwed up my system and my Trivision cameras video output is useless. How do I roll back the update? I'm dead in the water here...I need the 4.1.9 install file or a fix ASAP please!!!!!
Do you have an older install file in your download folder?

labbie48

n3wb
Reaction score
No issues here. Upgrade went smoothly. This software just gets better and better...... Now to figure out how to use this new feature. Anyone want to explain in layman's terms?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No issues here. Upgrade went smoothly. This software just gets better and better...... Now to figure out how to use this new feature. Anyone want to explain in layman's terms?
Check the updated help file.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just checked and I'm still running 4.1.9.2 - I did a 'check for update' and it says I'm on the most current. Is that a function of a scheduled roll-out, or maybe he pulled it?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I downloaded the update from the website and installed it manually. However, just as @fidelity101 indicated, I'm having some new issues with two of my cameras (Ratingsecu). Both in the browser and console, they show streaming video for about 10 seconds, then freeze for about 15, then resume. Very odd, never seen before. Will roll back to the previous update.

Edited to add: Downgrading to the 4.1.9.2 solved the freezing camera issue. Will send an email to Ken.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I updated, and while I'm not seeing any camera stability issues, the CPU usage seems to be up a little bit from an average of about 31% on my system to about 33%.

More importantly, it is now detecting a lot of false motion. I guess I will have to reconfigure motion detection on all my cams :(

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I updated, and while I'm not seeing any camera stability issues, the CPU usage seems to be up a little bit from an average of about 31% on my system to about 33%.

More importantly, it is now detecting a lot of false motion. I guess I will have to reconfigure motion detection on all my cams :(
Same here, everything seems to be much more sensitive. Lots of experimenting to do!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think a lot of my false alarms are caused by the new object detect setting. Specifically, there is a requirement that the detected object travels some distance in the video frame, but this requirement is now separate and unchecked by default. In previous BI versions, it was simply built in to the Object detect feature.

People who did not use object detection in the past might not experience this much of a change in motion detection behavior.

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Works fine here.
I'm trying shadow cancellation, but in night vision with an outside light, a man's shadow is still detected, before the real person walking. So, it seems that doesn't work well at night.

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
High Definition mode works very well: the object detected can be seen with all little squares that fits perfectly the silhouette!

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tried the update this morning. I have five Astak Mole cams on the system. Every cam had a rectangle of pixels at the top left of the each display that went into "blink" mode. Flashing on and off. About once a second. The blinking did not set trigger alerts, but it was annoying.

I downloaded and installed the older version for now.

Thanks.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you disable the RTSP timestamp and keep alive (configure button under video tab), the buggy cameras work again. I don't know what other consequence that has, but for now, it's letting me keep and play with the latest version.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you disable the RTSP timestamp and keep alive (configure button under video tab), the buggy cameras work again. I don't know what other consequence that has, but for now, it's letting me keep and play with the latest version.
Thanks. Timestamps are all ready disabled. Will try disabling the "keep alive" option next.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sorry, it's RTSP/stream timecode... Not timestamp...

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to start a new thread for this issue. FWIW, I disabled the timecode, and went into the camera software and disabled the timecode and camera name. Still flashing across the top of the display. I downgraded to 4.19 and the flashing has stopped.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to start a new thread for this issue. FWIW, I disabled the timecode, and went into the camera software and disabled the timecode and camera name. Still flashing across the top of the display. I downgraded to 4.19 and the flashing has stopped.
That is something you should contact the Blue Iris developer directly about. If you can give him access to the stream direct from the camera then he might be able to figure out what is wrong and fix it.

Reaction score
Version 4.2.2 has fixed my video smearing issues. It also created another issue (although indirectly) with my anti virus program "Web Root". I've never seen a problem like this before so I thought I'd mention it in case it helps anyone else out.

My main C: is a 250Gb SSD drive. I had 80GB of free space when I updated BlueIris to the latest version (4.2.2). And my hard drive started loosing disk space at a rate of about 3GB per minute. I installed a program called WinDrStat which helped me identify the source of the hard drive usage and it turned out that Web Root was creating a HUGE database file. The file was stored in C:\ProgramData\WRData and it eventually used up all of the free space on my hard drive. I was able to stop the problem by disabling Webroot but that's hopefully only a short term fix.