varifocal setup

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Curious as this is not something I gave lots of thought to when trying to get dialed in.

If I zoom to get the image to capture my desired area, what do i do with focus? Currently it is right in the middle, however, it is my front door, so would it be better to instead set focus to near as that is the area I care more about vs the street or the yard? What about the autofocus option?

It is a dahua 5542T-ZE and while it is installed and capturing, I never gave a whole ton of thought to these settings other than zooming the image to remove the wall from the capture area.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You want to set the focus for the area you are trying to cover.

The autofocus is used just once by the camera until it finds something to focus on and then it doesn't change as something moves past the area being watched.

I always have a subject stand in the area I am trying to cover and hit autofocus and then do a slight adjustment if needed to focus in at the area I am trying to cover.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got it thanks. Am I doing it right if I am in the web ui of the camera? It is very clunky and the settings often delay as I click. Making sure the headaches it creates is just the way.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you need to do it in the camera GUI. Some of these cameras are clunky and slow.

Is the camera going through the router?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@kolbasz - I mean is your camera going thru your wifi router and exposed to the internet or is it isolated and not exposed to the internet?

If your camera is going thru your router that can cause clunky and slow, but it could also be just the camera itself.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@kolbasz - I mean is your camera going thru your wifi router and exposed to the internet or is it isolated and not exposed to the internet?

If your camera is going thru your router that can cause clunky and slow, but it could also be just the camera itself.
I am accessing it wifi to the Lan ip, not via the internet. I think it is just the ui/software being clunky as hell. Click, wait, save, review, repeat

It's a shame, cause otherwise it is a good camera.