v5 License key, paid support expired - shouldn't I still be able to download and update manually?

Reaction score
Tried an update/download this evening, now see "Evaluation" on all my screens, and in the error log, "your license is not authorized to use this version". Did licensing change in the last year or so, or did I download a bad file, somehow?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There are multiple threads regarding this. For a long time you could update even if your support had expired. That was a courtesy provided by BI. With the advent of version 5 that is no longer true. The license agreement has always said that, but it was not enforced until version 5. For the modest cost of support it's more than a good bargain.

Reaction score
There are multiple threads regarding this. For a long time you could update even if your support had expired. That was a courtesy provided by BI. With the advent of version 5 that is no longer true. The license agreement has always said that, but it was not enforced until version 5. For the modest cost of support it's more than a good bargain.
Oh, I don't mind paying Ken, I just was not aware this became a condition any time recently. I was one of the initial persons to convert to v5, and I paid full price for a new version, because it was certainly well worth the money. But until tonight, I've always been able to download and update manually. Just trying to figure out precisely when it changed? At the delivery/install of the initial V5 package?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I don't mind paying Ken, I just was not aware this became a condition any time recently. I was one of the initial persons to convert to v5, and I paid full price for a new version, because it was certainly well worth the money. But until tonight, I've always been able to download and update manually. Just trying to figure out precisely when it changed? At the delivery/install of the initial V5 package?
It changed in BI4. Ken started enforcing it with BI5, this was not noticeable until April of 2020 when those who switched to Bi5 when it was first released in April of 2019 ran out of the one year free support.