Using Spotter Cameras to direct a PTZ where to look in an NVR or Blue Iris and setting a spotter cam as a priority in Blue Iris

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried looking myself for where this option to allow me to use a spotter cam might be and not sure where it is...the only thing I found that might be helpful is this picture. Please let me know if this is what you guys are talking about. Also I called Lorex and asked them if their system could do this and they said no. I spoke with a supervisor in their tech dept. I first asked if mine could and if they had any NVR that could and he said no but said it was great idea and will pass along so they could maybe include it. I know it is possible cause wittaj said his neighbor can but might have different ver NVR.

So if someone can please take a sec and look at pic and or check out the NVR ver I have and confirm if it can do this. As mentioned I tried calling tech support for the help but it was waste of time. Thanks in advance
Um, "PTZ Activation"....

riot2024

n3wb
Reaction score
Um, "PTZ Activation"....
I'm not sure if that is what we are looking for BUT you guys would know better then me. If you guys do decide that in fact does have it, only other question I have is then how do I setup the trip wire (zig-zag lines) for the spotter cam? Is that done on the NVR or on the Cam GUI?

This is the next screen that opens, when you click on "SET" for PTZ Activation

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming it’s the NVR yes you would choose the preset already established on the PTZ (choosing the channel# of the PTZ and then Preset #) that you want it to go to.

Don’t use Motion detection if your NVR and camera support IVS/Tripwire

On the camera you simply set your tripwires as you normally would. The NVR makes the connection and says “if camera channel X tripwire #X is tripped, send a signal to the PTZ to go to preset #X

The camera and PTZ have no direct knowledge of this. They’re just doing their normal thing. The NVR is the hub that connects the dots.

Last edited:

riot2024

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming it’s the NVR yes you would choose the preset already established on the PTZ (choosing the channel# of the PTZ and then Preset #) that you want it to go to.

On the camera you simply set your tripwires as you normally would. The NVR makes the connection and says “if camera channel X tripwire #X is tripped, send a signal to the PTZ to go to preset #X

The camera and PTZ have no direct knowledge of this. They’re just doing their normal thing. The NVR is the hub that connects the dots.
oookay...hmm..what you said kinda makes sense to this newbie...but why does the 2nd screenshot below, show a list of channels to choose? Meaning on the 1st screenshot, at the top I can select which channel I want to adjust the settings for, that part I understand. So if I'm on channel 2 why does the next screen make me choose channel 2 again AND also show multiple channels? Not expecting you to know the answer but maybe you are familiar with this sort of setup. Thanks

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IF thats your NVR and you chose from the previous screen you showed, to enable PTZ activation on that channel #1

THEN the screen above is asking you what channel # is the PTZ on, and what Preset do you want it to go to when activated,.

riot2024

n3wb
Reaction score
IF thats your NVR and you chose from the previous screen you showed, to enable PTZ activation on that channel #1

THEN the screen above is asking you what channel # is the PTZ on, and what Preset do you want it to go to when activated,.

sorry about not replying with answer, lots of questions moving around in head and been crazy day. Yes, those screen shots are from the Lorex NVR. I fully plan on going either BI or Empire NVR but I'm in a time sensitive situation and am trying to make what I have work, if possible.

I fully understand what you wrote and appreciate how you spelled it out for me. This is all very new but I'm making sense of it, thanks to this forum. So, I dont doubt what you said to be truth just have a question. On the first Pic I posted, where it reads "ptz activation" at top of screen it allows you to click on drop down and select which channel. So keeping that same feature in mind. On the 2nd pic where it LISTS all the channels to choose from to select which is the PTZ...wouldn't it be easier to just have one drop down and select the channel instead of listing all of them? I 100% could be over thinking this, I was just curious if maybe you knew the answer. Either way I cant thank YOU and everyone else here that takes their time out to help. Truly...thank you!

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

In the NVR I got my spotter cam to trigger my ptz, like want, but the ptz will not return to home afterward. In BI I have the ptz schedule on to where it always returns to preset 1. This always works in BI if I move it to a different preset manually, it returns to preset 1 within 10s. It just won't go back to preset 1 after the NVR trigger:idk:

riot2024

n3wb
Reaction score
I use a time task on the ptz itself. Works like a charm regardless of how the ptz is first moved
When you say a time task on the ptz itself do you mean on the camer's GUI or thru the NVR? I guess I was so focused on figuring out if my NVR could do spotter cams, that I didnt think if my NVR had a option to send the PTZ back to a set area once it was done with the 1st task.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sorry, on this one I have Idle Motion as its "Return Home" command. But on another I use Time Task. Both can accomplish the same thing

IdleMotion.jpg

I have two Time Tasks on this one because I have the PTZ park at its "Alternate Homes" at various times of the day.
For instance at night it becomes a dedicated LPR cam so its parked at Preset #3 which is a zoomed in area for catching plates
And from 4-6pm I have it turned away from the glaring sun

TimeTask2.jpg TimeTask1.jpg

So all things considered, I actually have 3 "Return Home": commands set on the PTZ itself. All 3 different "Homes"

Last edited:

riot2024

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sorry, on this one I have Idle Motion as its "Return Home" command. But on another I use Time Task. Both can accomplish the same thing

View attachment 188872

I have two Time Tasks on this one because I have the PTZ park at its "Alternate Homes" at various times of the day.
For instance at night it becomes a dedicated LPR cam so its parked at Preset #3 which is a zoomed in area for catching plates
And from 4-6pm I have it turned away from the glaring sun

View attachment 188870 View attachment 188871

So all things considered, I actually have 3 "Return Home": commands set on the PTZ itself. All 3 different "Homes"
ok, i understand now. So only thing that might or could be different is depending on which cam I get the GUI might have similar settings or not at all, which is fine either way. I should be picking out the cams in the next few days. Once I have a little breathing room, I will upgrade to a BI system. From what I'm picking up around here, that is best sys with a lot of functions and etc. Thanks once again to everyone for sharing their advice.