Using 48v power

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack Bryan's thread I thought I'd put a followup to the post I made there.

It turns out I am in the middle of installing another 48v run to solve these problems.

1) I have 1 camera on the east end of our garage facing west. It covers the driveway and overhead doors but I can not see the walk-in door directly below it. I need a second camera on the west end facing east

2) There are no external IR sources for that camera so the number of false triggers at night is so bad I stopped recording then. Need to install a couple of IR sources on that E-W wall (south)

3) There is only a wifi Reolink 'R2D2' in the garage. It works fine but I have been unable to integrate it into my Ubiquiti system well. Need to install a 'real' camera in the garage.

4) On the north side of the garage I have another bullet camera covering the front walk / door. It also has too many night falses due to the internal IR. Need to install one or two IR sources on that wall. I can run pvc conduit high under the eave and bring it from the garage door side, across the front of the garage and then another turn to the north wall.

5)) using that conduit in #4 I want to add a camera facing the front yard. Need at least one more IR source and a camera.

So there are several solutions possible. Some may be better than mine but what I'm doing is:

I am going to run a 48 volt (I actually run 40v) line out to the garage near where the cat5 cable penetrates the wall for the existing camera. Then I'm going to install this:
1594158504611.png

I bought 2 cases of these obsolete 10/100 Linksys switches for about $.30 ea ($13 for 46 of them). Plenty fast for me and this is the 3rd one I'm using. The other two are in waterproof boxes on trees in the woods. The 48v 18/2ga line terminates here on the barrier strip. The 48v source is about 100' away in the basement.

Here it is installed in the garage
1594158811617.png

The outside shot
1594158957011.png

So my solution provides for 4 cameras, 5 IR sources and room to expand using just an 18/2 power feed, a $.30 5 port switch and one cat5 cable.

It may not be elegant but it should work :)

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tendelux have worked well for me. From the AI4 to BI18. For this little project I'm going to use 2 AI4's over the garage doors. The distance to the woods is only 50' and I'm sure they will do fine. In the woods I have real variety of sizes, mostly BI8's and BI18's. If I were to do it again I wouldn't use the BI18's - too much uneven light. More lights, lower power :)

Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack Bryan's thread I thought I'd put a followup to the post I made there.

It turns out I am in the middle of installing another 48v run to solve these problems.

1) I have 1 camera on the east end of our garage facing west. It covers the driveway and overhead doors but I can not see the walk-in door directly below it. I need a second camera on the west end facing east

2) There are no external IR sources for that camera so the number of false triggers at night is so bad I stopped recording then. Need to install a couple of IR sources on that E-W wall (south)

3) There is only a wifi Reolink 'R2D2' in the garage. It works fine but I have been unable to integrate it into my Ubiquiti system well. Need to install a 'real' camera in the garage.

4) On the north side of the garage I have another bullet camera covering the front walk / door. It also has too many night falses due to the internal IR. Need to install one or two IR sources on that wall. I can run pvc conduit high under the eave and bring it from the garage door side, across the front of the garage and then another turn to the north wall.

5)) using that conduit in #4 I want to add a camera facing the front yard. Need at least one more IR source and a camera.

So there are several solutions possible. Some may be better than mine but what I'm doing is:

I am going to run a 48 volt (I actually run 40v) line out to the garage near where the cat5 cable penetrates the wall for the existing camera. Then I'm going to install this:
View attachment 65832

I bought 2 cases of these obsolete 10/100 Linksys switches for about $.30 ea ($13 for 46 of them). Plenty fast for me and this is the 3rd one I'm using. The other two are in waterproof boxes on trees in the woods. The 48v 18/2ga line terminates here on the barrier strip. The 48v source is about 100' away in the basement.

Here it is installed in the garage
View attachment 65833

The outside shot
View attachment 65834

So my solution provides for 4 cameras, 5 IR sources and room to expand using just an 18/2 power feed, a $.30 5 port switch and one cat5 cable.

It may not be elegant but it should work :)
What is powering this setup, i do not see where you are plugged in to anything.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is powering this setup, i do not see where you are plugged in to anything.
lol, Hi Djernie
It's definitely a work in progress. Those were the first pix when I started the project. Today I did more.
The board with the small switch and 12 volt buck device now looks like this:
1594503123800.png
The wire with the arrow going to it is my cat 6 cable that needs to be cut, connector installed and plugged into switch above. There was one cat 6 cable going through the wall on the right feeding my existing driveway poe camera. Now there is another cat 6 cable (which will feed the camera to be installed at the other end of the garage). In addition there is a 12 volt line that will be used to power the existing driveway camera, a microphone I just added today for that cam, 2 IR sources over the garage doors, the new camera and eventually the camera & IR sources for the other sides of the garage. The wires are temporarily nylon tied together. Need to trim everything up when done.
Here is what it looks like right now outside (it just started to rain - good excuse to stop).
1594503653151.png

The wires are the 12 volt and ethernet which will be extended in pvc conduit coming out of the adapter in the box. I am going to have to paint that mike cable while to keep peace in the house.

Finally here is where everything goes to from that black board:
1594503883652.png

The circled box is my '48v' source - now set at 45.9. The Ubiquiti switch goes to the other end of the basement to the primary 24 port switch.

Sorry I didn't make things clearer in my initial post.

Reaction score
lol, Hi Djernie
It's definitely a work in progress. Those were the first pix when I started the project. Today I did more.
The board with the small switch and 12 volt buck device now looks like this:
View attachment 66171
The wire with the arrow going to it is my cat 6 cable that needs to be cut, connector installed and plugged into switch above. There was one cat 6 cable going through the wall on the right feeding my existing driveway poe camera. Now there is another cat 6 cable (which will feed the camera to be installed at the other end of the garage). In addition there is a 12 volt line that will be used to power the existing driveway camera, a microphone I just added today for that cam, 2 IR sources over the garage doors, the new camera and eventually the camera & IR sources for the other sides of the garage. The wires are temporarily nylon tied together. Need to trim everything up when done.
Here is what it looks like right now outside (it just started to rain - good excuse to stop).
View attachment 66172

The wires are the 12 volt and ethernet which will be extended in pvc conduit coming out of the adapter in the box. I am going to have to paint that mike cable while to keep peace in the house.

Finally here is where everything goes to from that black board:
View attachment 66173

The circled box is my '48v' source - now set at 45.9. The Ubiquiti switch goes to the other end of the basement to the primary 24 port switch.

Sorry I didn't make things clearer in my initial post.
Ok cool, can't wait to see finished results good idea. Yes we have to keep the peace. :)

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Almost done :) Waiting for Amazon to deliver the Dahua today

1594750948712.png

Need to add a couple more conduit supports - The closest box is for the new camera, a Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS-S2 , the next 2 boxes are the Tendelux AI4's and the last is the existing camera (same as new one) that I added a microphone to.

Nothing goes completely smoothly :( As I was pushing the ethernet cable into the box I took one last look at the wires. DOH! I reversed orange and orange/white. I couldn't bring myself to do the same on the other end. So I installed the new connector on the ladder, not something I'm real comfy about doing though I am a real hero on my tower with a climbing belt. . .
Then I discovered the audio wasn't working from the new mic :( Well it could be a problem with the 12v or the audio circuit (I always assume the product is good). When the IR sources turned on last night didn't leave many choices. Turned out the double male rca union (between cam cable and mic cable) had come undone when I closed the box up. The 'fingers' weren't very tight on the mic cable but that was easy to fix.

Now to get some paint and make it all disappear into the siding.