Used System Camera Connection

CT@DRCMD

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I work at a small computer repair store as an intern and I was tasked with clearing data off of a used Hikvision DVR and cameras. My boss knows nothing about this system so I am basically googling everything trying to figure out how to go about clearing data and checking to make sure everything is working. In my process of figuring out how to clear the data, I did a reset to the system then did a factory reset thinking that would clear the data. I finally figured out how to clear data but now when I go to hook up the cameras, they show up in the camera setup section but there is no visual from the cameras on the main screen. I try to delete the cameras from the camera setup section but it says there is no IP camera for deletion. I am completely lost on what to do as I am still learning about the tech world and this system as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I believe I have a Hikvision ds-7608ni-e2/8p. I have no idea what type the cameras are but i can get pictures if needed.

Thanks again

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I work at a small computer repair store as an intern and I was tasked with clearing data off of a used Hikvision DVR and cameras. My boss knows nothing about this system so I am basically googling everything trying to figure out how to go about clearing data and checking to make sure everything is working. In my process of figuring out how to clear the data, I did a reset to the system then did a factory reset thinking that would clear the data. I finally figured out how to clear data but now when I go to hook up the cameras, they show up in the camera setup section but there is no visual from the cameras on the main screen. I try to delete the cameras from the camera setup section but it says there is no IP camera for deletion. I am completely lost on what to do as I am still learning about the tech world and this system as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I believe I have a Hikvision ds-7608ni-e2/8p. I have no idea what type the cameras are but i can get pictures if needed.

Thanks again
Welcome @CT@DRCMD

FYI - HDD are standard SATA drives and you can wipe them on a PC using any wipe utility.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I finally figured out how to clear data
As @mat200 indicates - if you did this via the NVR storage menu - it only deletes the references to the stored data, not the data itself, just as is the case on a PC if a format or delete as opposed to a secure wipe is used.
There are plenty of forensic tools that will recover recordings from an NVR which has had its HDDs 'formatted'.

On the cameras, connected to the PoE ports -
By default, the camera admin passwords will be the same as the original NVR password before the reset assuming they were added in Plug&Play mode.

To point the way forward to getting the cameras reconnected, a suggestion :

In the NVR web GUI, screenshot the System | Camera configuration screen.
This will show the IP addresses that the NVR channels are configured to use.

On a PC, install Hikvision's SADP tool.
This will find any Hikvision devices, across IP subnets, no need to change the PC IP address.
Connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port, click the refresh button, and screenshot the found list.
Of interest will be the camera IP addresses, and the firmware versions.

You can figure out which camera is which so you can label them by disconnecting one, hitting the refresh button, and seeing which drops out.

When you've done that, and shown the screenshots, we should be able to point you in the right direction.