Use of Overview and LPR Cams to Document Midnight Vehicle Distributing Offensive Flyers on Lawns

Reaction score
We were out of town and I was checking my cams remotely one morning and noticed one of the Deputies that regularly patrol my subdivision had been at my front door. She has come to me a few times requesting video as she knows I have fairly good coverage of the streets at my corner. I noticed that as she walked down my walkway, she stopped and picked up something on my lawn. Since I knew her, I sent an email asking what was up. She replied later in the day that there had been an incident in the neighborhood and wanted to know if I had video from the night before.

I answered her that I was out of town but would be back later that evening if she wanted to stop by and discuss what I should be looking for. We agreed on a time the following morning.

When she came by, I learned that numerous 'flyers' had been placed on lawns that night. The flyers were quite offensive and neighbors had called to complain. So I went to work trying to identify when and how those flyers were placed on the lawns. As one had been placed on my lawn and the Deputy had removed it, I had a good idea where to look and she gave me a time frame of 10pm on 7/28 to 8am on 7/29 as to when these flyers would have been placed.

I spotted the flyer on my lawn by looking at my Driveway Right cam. This is a Dahua T5442TM-AS in 6mm. Backing through that video, I could see that there was a car that threw the flyer out of the passenger window as it drove by a little after midnight.

Using some overview cams (Dahua SD12203T-GN mounted in second floor windows), I could track the car as it entered my street, made two passes back and forth, and caught some shots of them tossing flyers on to my neighbor's yards. This also got me good info on the make, model, year, and color of the car. There were at least two perps in the car as one was driving and one was tossing flyers out the passenger window.

Both my LPR cams got great plate captures. These are Dahua HFW5241E-Z12E dedicated/optimized for LPR only. This info was given to the Deputy. However, I have no info on what the outcome was.

See video below.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How did you get those plate shots? The 'general' camera doesn't show much and isn't at an angle where it could show a license plate. But that one shot with the license plate is exactly what I want. Where was that placed in relation to your property? What height?

Reaction score
They are from two different cams used exclusively for LPR. They are in a box about 3 feet off the ground in my garden. See the thread below for more info.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, going through your detailed post. Very helpful!! I will probably try with 1' off the ground but have some provisions to increase it. I think I will put some concrete block in with a metal pipe sticking out and then mount the cam on that metal pipe. Then if I need to increase the height I will insert a smaller metal pipe into that existing metal pipe and mount the camera on that extension.

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Curious what was on the flyers? Targeted toward certain homes or random? Very out of the ordinary and stupid tbh for someone to conduct such a stupid act. Great job, (pretty much conducting your own investigation), and helping out authorities.

Reaction score
Follow up to this thread. I spoke to the deputy, and she did confirm that they had identified and contacted the driver of the car. As it turns out the 'flyers' were explicit, unfounded, accusations about a neighbor. No criminal charges were filed but there may be civil actions pending against the distributors of those flyers.