USB Killer Stick Takes out 50 Computers

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure it would affect most devices with a USB port if it works by creating surges!!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kills cars too. There's a video or two of some idiot plugging one in to the USB port in their car. These have been around since 2016 or earlier.

I may or may not have had some fun in a computer lab with a defective off the shelf USB device that kernel panics or BSODs every device it's plugged into

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I may or may not have had some fun in a computer lab with a defective off the shelf USB device that kernel panics or BSODs every device it's plugged into
LOL. That is just a prank though, especially if the computers are naturally reloaded from a clean image when booting up.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL. That is just a prank though, especially if the computers are naturally reloaded from a clean image when booting up.
At least once a month somebody would hack a professor's laptop during a lecture (I never saw anything malicious, just disruptive pranks). XP was fun :lol:

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sure it would affect most devices with a USB port if it works by creating surges!!
I watched a guy try it on a MacBook, It took out the port but saved the mobo, Average windows PC...Toast, They tried it on a big screen TV, again took out the port but the tv ran on.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Kills cars too. There's a video or two of some idiot plugging one in to the USB port in their car. These have been around since 2016 or earlier.

I haven't googled this so I'm presuming it's a capacitor that charges from the usb power and then discharges a pulse back into the system?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Who knows? Undoubtedly butthurt about something. Seems to be the thing these days...

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I googled it and found out. It uses a bank of capacitors to discharge over 200v on continuous cycles until the device it's attached to is destroyed. Apparently it exploits a surge protection flaw in USB boards - they don't have any to save costs! I haven't linked the web site selling these here for obvious reasons although it's not hard to find.

As for motives, you can only presume with such a targeted attack, that the guy was probably dissatisfied with his grades or treatment at the University.