Urgent: how to let motion detecting event ring alarm on phone

Rubke

n3wb
Reaction score
Last few days there has been a lot of supsicious activity in the street: looks like people "scouting" houses, cars etc. Police is informed (by multiple inhabitants). This has been recorded by 2 Andy/Dahua cams, which are connected to a Synology NAS running Surveillance Station. Motion detection works and these events are visible in SS. I don't have any active alarms at this moment.

I am looking for a solution which lets my phone give an alarm/notification when the cameras detect motion. Is there a way to get this done? Can SS do it? Is there a seperate app I could use next to SS?

Edit: Meanwhile I've found a function to ring an alarm in SS client on computer (by using rules). However still don't know how to get an alarm on the phone.

Last edited:

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but I use an App called easy viewer Pro I believe it is a Dahua app and it will allow you to get motion alerts on your phone as well as live and playback video.

Colditz

n3wb
Reaction score
There are several ways that I can think of. If the cameras you're referring to are IP-Cameras, you can use the Dahua DMSS App to receive Push Notifications on your phone.
Another alternative would be setting up SMTP on your Camera or Recorder and coupling that with an iPaaS Service like GroupLotse. (they support Webhook, MQTT, E-Mail, SMS and Phone call).

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use the Dahua DMSS app on my 'phone and it works well. My camera network is stand alone (modem with static IP) and I use OpenVPN to connect to my 'phone. On DMSS I use the "Multi-channel Alarm Subscription" plus "Intrusion Alarm" functions. Whenever someone or something goes into the intrusion zone I set up on each camera I get a push notification to my 'phone. I'm no expert and it took me hours and hours to figure it all out. Thanks is also due to this forum for some help along the way.
Hopefully my setup cannot be hacked and I'm the only one that can access my NVR via the internet.
If I recall correctly, I stopped using the motion detection setups on the cameras because it was too fussy or sensitive or something! I find the intrusion detection better.
I also stopped using SmartPSS because it was so slow it was useless. (Could be my fault of course 'cos like I said, I'm no expert).

Colditz

n3wb
Reaction score
I use the Dahua DMSS app on my 'phone and it works well. My camera network is stand alone (modem with static IP) and I use OpenVPN to connect to my 'phone. On DMSS I use the "Multi-channel Alarm Subscription" plus "Intrusion Alarm" functions. Whenever someone or something goes into the intrusion zone I set up on each camera I get a push notification to my 'phone. I'm no expert and it took me hours and hours to figure it all out. Thanks is also due to this forum for some help along the way.
Hopefully my setup cannot be hacked and I'm the only one that can access my NVR via the internet.
If I recall correctly, I stopped using the motion detection setups on the cameras because it was too fussy or sensitive or something! I find the intrusion detection better.
I also stopped using SmartPSS because it was so slow it was useless. (Could be my fault of course 'cos like I said, I'm no expert).
In regards to SmartPSS being slow, have you tried the new and updated SmartPSS Lite?

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In regards to SmartPSS being slow, have you tried the new and updated SmartPSS Lite?
No. I didn't know there was an update. I will do though because I'd like to set up a laptop in the bedroom as a second "control room" so that I can monitor all cameras at night. At the moment if I hear an intrusion alarm at night I have to go downstairs into the office and use the NVR direct interface to see what is happening. If I'm deep in sleep I don't hear the alarm so the whole system becomes a little useless for taking care of intruders.

I'm happy with the NVR web GUI so ideally I'd like to duplicate that in the bedroom with another monitor and another keyboard (cabled and connected directly downstairs to the NVR) but I haven't tried to do it yet. Is it possible and does anyone have any tips?