Upgrading Cameras

Chicken

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking to possibly upgrading a few of my cameras. My main front yard camera is a IPC-HFW5442E-ZE and while it works it sticks out like a sore thumb above my porch. I have it set at the widest zoom (2.7mm iirc) and I don't change it so I could go with a fixed focal length camera instead. Its hard to keep track of all the various models out there. What would you recommend to replace it? I also have two IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E that I use for license plate cameras. They are at different zoom settings so I would need something that still supports zoom, has good IR illumination and other folks have been using for LPR type function. Again these are working great but being a bullet style camera stick out on the house vs the turret cameras I use else where around the house. Finally I may want to add another turret type camera around the house. I have been using IPC-HDW5442TM-AS and like them but wondering what the current version of a turret with built in IR and good low level light camera would be. Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ZE has a turret style.

No turret has the zoom capability of the Z12E, so unless your plates are within 30ish or so feet from the camera, you will be stuck with those. The Z12E is still the LPR king.

The 5442 series is still the current "king". The 4K/X has probably displaced it at a fixed lens length, but it is bullet and much larger than what you have now.

This would be the next turret that could replace the 5442 fixed lens series:

So either you go with the 5442 in turret or the 5449-ase-d2 as a turret to replace the 5442 bullet you have now. Nothing to replace the Z12E unless within 30 feet.

Last edited:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^^^What he said.

The 5442 turrets are almost invisible to 99% of the folks even up close. At beyond 30', very few folks will ever notice it. Get a monster PTZ following folks and they may notice it. I have my 49225 PTZ tracking people at 85' or so, and no one has noticed it following them yet, even though it is temporarily mounted to a 2x4 in a bucket.

Chicken

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the quick reponse. Looks like the 5449-ase-d2 is not shipping a 2.8mm model yet and it has some quirks so I guess I'll keep what I have for now and watch how the development of the 52449-ase-d2 comes along. Thanks!