Unable to set DHCP in SADP. Camera keeps disappearing

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a HikVision DS-2CD2732F-I dome camera. It used to work fine, plugged into a HikVision NVR. We were recently burgled. They pulled the cord from the camera, I've had to take it down to remount it. I've moved the NVR to another country (Don't ask). I'm trying to work with the camera.

I can't seem to communicate with it. SADP didn't see it at all, so I did a reset on the camera (Held the button in for 20 seconds on boot). Now, about 2 minutes after it boots up, SADP sees it. 192.0.0.64. All the parameters look good. So the first thing I want to do it change the camera settings to accept DHCP so that it can be on my 192.168.1.x network. I check the DHCP box, enter the default admin password of "12345", press save, but then it waits about 10 seconds before responding "Timed Out". About a minute later the camera disappears from SADP.

I've tried several times. It's almost as if the 192.0.0.64 is a clashing IP and that I can't talk to it. I don't have a complex setup. A router handing out IP addresses to about 6 devices.

Anyone seen this before?

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I figured it out from another post. I had to change my PC from DHCP to manually assign the IP address to 192.0.0.5 (Or anything but 64). I still had problems with SADP not being able to set DHCP on the camera, but I could log into the camera directly in a browser at 192.0.0.64 and set it to be DHCP there.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have that issue intermittently with SADP.

Manually connecting like you have done is the only way to fix that.

I find the issue occurs more when connecting over wifi or using a USB Ethernet dongle.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Camera is connected directly to the Wi-Fi router. My PC is next to the router on a Wi-Fi connection. This is unfortunate, but I just bought a new Dell XPS 13 which only has one Display Port for connections. I bought Dell's multi port adapter which has Display Port in and HDMI & Ethernet out, but it is a steaming piece of excrament and incredibly unreliable to the point where I don't use it. Added to that, as soon as I got the notebook, I torched Windows and put Linux Mint on it. That unfortunately didn't work too well, not recognizing the display port properly. So then I installed Ubuntu alongside, which worked better. Of course, then I was left with the problem that SADP only works in Windows, not Linux. So then I had to install VMWare and Windows on it. To get Windows on the same subnet as the camera (Essential), I set VMWare to bridge the networking. So yes, the VM is on Wi-Fi just like the PC. Maybe that is a problem. But it does work.

One other thing I noticed: I went in and changed the HTTP port from 80 to 81. That was a mistake. Not only could I no longer log into the camera (On Port 81 or 80) at all, but SADP started playing up again, showing the camera, allowing me to select it and set the port back to 80, but again it then times out trying to talk to it. No idea why. Same subnet. My only way out was to do a hard reset on the camera again, which changes the IP back to 192.0.0.64, change the VM Windows machine from DHCP to 192.0.0.<something> and start SADP, at which point I can then see the camera and change it's settings.

Seems pretty flaky.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have also found that there are subtle differences in how some Hikvision devices manifest when accessed with IE11over a VM from Linux.
For example, the 7816N-E2 NVR baulks at taking a web GUI firmware update which works OK in native Windows.
And it doesn't like exporting the GUID password recovery token - seems to think it's on a network drive.
And some of the screen items can be different, such as the 'test for update button' being absent.
So your somewhat convoluted access route will no doubt be quite quirky.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm. Interesting.

I have found other issues since. I tried changing the HTTP port in SADP from 80 to 81. Once I did that, I couldn't access the camera any more. I rebooted it and I was using http://198...:81 SADP also started playing up again, not allowing me to change it back as it would time out again. Yes, the VM and the camera were on the same subnet. I've had to hard reset the camera to get access to it again. Just weird.