Ubiquiti dream machine SE

CBagz

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone running a Dream Machine SE as their NVR? With the Dream Machine SE only $499 and it has a built in NVR, I’m thinking of biting the bullet and picking one up along with a couple 5442’s since we will have high speed fiber soon. Figure since I’ll be swapping ISPs it’ll be a good time to upgrade equipment to something I have more control over and can keep an eye on what the kids are doing with their electronics.

Hoping I can get the cameras, an additional POE switch if needed, and the Dream Machine SE and be at a good starting point.

Last edited:

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the dream router. Software is great. Wifi coverage kinda sucks tho. Just ordered a U6 LR access point and hoping it helps cover my property. Would think you'd want more storage than what comes built in. Can you add a large surveillance specific hard drive to that unit?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless something changed, Ubiquiti's NVR software is proprietary and only works with their cameras. Though there's apparently a third-party proxy application that can sit in the middle to make other cameras compatible, I have no idea how well that works.

CBagz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the dream router. Software is great. Wifi coverage kinda sucks tho. Just ordered a U6 LR access point and hoping it helps cover my property. Would think you'd want more storage than what comes built in. Can you add a large surveillance specific hard drive to that unit?
Yep all the way up to 8 TB. The house is only 2 story and about 3k sq ft, WiFi coverage should be fairly easy and the acreage is small but should be able to use the WiFi in the road while talking to neighbors and listening to streaming music.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless something changed, Ubiquiti's NVR software is proprietary and only works with their cameras. Though there's apparently a third-party proxy application that can sit in the middle to make other cameras compatible, I have no idea how well that works.
I’ve seen a few videos where they show the ability to use a RTSP stream. So given that, on the surface it looks able to support other third party video hardware. The company has a lot of potential as it relates to video security but the people behind the whole concept is a utter fail.

This is akin to all the endless reolink, ring, blink, wyze, shit videos all over the net.

When you read about someone or a company installing hundreds of these cameras you already know they are completely clueless about video security!

All of the Ubiquiti cameras are literally at the same sub par quality as the names I just listed out.

People go with it because they like the so called integration (closed wall garden)

Every time someone shows me that piece of shit ugly PTZ they came out with I always burst out laughing!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Luvin' all the 3 dozen or so Ubiquiti UniFi AP's, Nanostations and Locos out there I've installed in 10 years...not so much love for their cams, though. :idk:
Their RF & networking hardware is pretty good. They continue to come out with some interesting new hardware which breaks lots of the traditional same old same old hardware.

Their major problem is the slow ass pace in which they don’t address bugs / features though as it relates to networking.

There are just so much basic vs give me’s they always seem to leave on the table. One only needs to think about VPN. It’s only recently they added the ability to use a more current VPN service?!?

Probably the most asinine thing they continue to push is their passive 24 POE?!?

Honestly WTF Ubiquiti . . .

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I think ubiquiti cameras are not necessarily bad, but they got a lot less interesting to me when I realized they were simply not able to compete effectively with Hikvision and Dahua, let alone disrupt the IP camera market like they had done with long range wireless networking. By the time they release new cameras, other brands have beaten them to market by years and at a lower price. And the walled-garden approach of their software is also a real downside to me.